Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
If propane were really all that dangerous don't you think that the drunken idiots all over America that are operating poorly maintained, made in China BBQs would be blowing themselves up all time? Yet somehow they're not....

MedSailor
that makes logical sense....except if you look at the world around you. the above mentioned drunken idiots are constantly doing really stupid things that would normally blow up and be fatal if a normal, non drunken idiot sort of person did it....and nothing bad happens to them. sometimes it seems that the universe looks out a little bit more for those kinds of people. otherwise, there'd be a lot more fatalities involving camaflage colored four wheelers and monster trucks.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
LED cabin lights is what i am going to be using. bright. long lasting. not hot. not a big energy drain. it's a win/win option.
I can't get the link to open right now, but believe I recall 12v shorts are the number one subcategory of electrical fires. Doesn't matter how hot the bulb gets. Improper installation, fusing, wire size, connectors, chafe, etc.

All I'm saying is, if you're stressed over fire hazzards, these win hands down over galley fuel. Especially on older boats that prior owners may have messed with or time may have been unkind toward.

What cooking fuel you use is up to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 04-02-2014 at 02:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Boredop (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
So what I've gathered is that, done right, propane and alcohol are both very safe. The danger of a fire or explosion from either of them is a small fraction of the other dangers involved in boating.

But for a person with a small boat who is trying to keep systems simple and costs down it sure sounds like alcohol comes out a winner. Two or three hundred bucks for an Origo and you're done. No solenoids, no hoses, no valves...

At least that's how I'm leaning for cooking in my tiny boat.
I spent a wonderful summer with a girl friend on a Catalina 22 pop-top. We had an unpressurized alcohol stove. The only frustration was how long it took for coffee in the morning. The extra time for everything else could be planned into our day. We did spend a lot on stove fuel.

Propane is a lot more available - more of an issue for sustained periods aboard without ground transportation than weekends...

Quote:
actually, if you couldn't cook spagetti, it wouldn't effect me a bit.
Spaghetti was just an arbitrary example. Pick another decent meal and I'll run numbers. If you really live on Ramen noodles none of it makes much difference. Down that path lies the discussion of "does boating have to be camping."

The point of my post was not spaghetti but that there are a lot of incorrect calculations in this thread and that getting your units right will make it apparent whether one understands reality or not.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I can't get the link to open right now, but believe I recall 12v shorts are the number one subcategory of electrical fires. Doesn't matter how hot the bulb gets. Improper installation, fusing, wire size, connectors, chafe, etc.

All I'm saying is, if you're stressed over fire hazzards, these win hands down over galley fuel. Especially on older boats that prior owners may have messed with or time may have been unkind toward.

What cooking fuel you use is up to you.
been replacing all the wiring. it was mickey moused pretty badly. doing it the tight way.

1971 Cal 27

Old 04-02-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
.....it was mickey moused pretty badly......
Hence the fire risk. Way to go.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
captain jack (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I spent a wonderful summer with a girl friend on a Catalina 22 pop-top. We had an unpressurized alcohol stove. The only frustration was how long it took for coffee in the morning. The extra time for everything else could be planned into our day. We did spend a lot on stove fuel.

Propane is a lot more available - more of an issue for sustained periods aboard without ground transportation than weekends...

Spaghetti was just an arbitrary example. Pick another decent meal and I'll run numbers. If you really live on Ramen noodles none of it makes much difference. Down that path lies the discussion of "does boating have to be camping."

The point of my post was not spaghetti but that there are a lot of incorrect calculations in this thread and that getting your units right will make it apparent whether one understands reality or not.
ok

1971 Cal 27

Old 04-02-2014

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I really doubt that would make much different in the overall results. The point stands, if you one is worried about fire, one should rip out all their electrical systems and revert to LED headlamps, charts and a sextant, long before worrying about propane (assuming its installed correctly).
You make it sound as if gas explosions happen so rarely that there is no point paying attention to the problem.

Wasn't there a case just last week where a cruiser was likely killed by a gas explosion? (the guy with the Norwegian wife/girl friend). I am not sure all the facts are in on that one but that seemed the most likely explanation for his death.

And the week before another one, where a rat chewed on the propane line (and was photographed paddling away).

Even with all these deaths, gas explosions may still be rare occurrencies but I prefer to better my odds. I sleep better with my guaranteed non-exploding kerosene stove and oven...
captain jack likes this.
Old 04-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
You make it sound as if gas explosions happen so rarely that there is no point paying attention to the problem.

Wasn't there a case just last week where a cruiser was likely killed by a gas explosion? (the guy with the Norwegian wife/girl friend). I am not sure all the facts are in on that one but that seemed the most likely explanation for his death.

And the week before another one, where a rat chewed on the propane line (and was photographed paddling away).

Even with all these deaths, gas explosions may still be rare occurrencies but I prefer to better my odds. I sleep better with my guaranteed non-exploding kerosene stove and oven...
No, that's not what I said.

I said that it would not make a difference in the overall results and that assumes they aren't already included in the galley fire stats.

With electrical and engines comprising roughly 80% of all boat fires and galleys making up only 1%, there is no way that "explosions" cover the gap. Galley fuel is not nearly your number one fire hazard aboard. Concern over fire is what started this thread.
christian.hess likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 04-02-2014

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, that's not what I said.

I said that it would not make a difference in the overall results and that assumes they aren't already included in the galley fire stats.

With electrical and engines comprising roughly 80% of all boat fires and galleys making up only 1%, there is no way that "explosions" cover the gap. Galley fuel is not nearly your number one fire hazard aboard. Concern over fire is what started this thread.
True. "If you have (uncontrolled) ignition of propane on your boat, the resulting fire is the least of your problems"
captain jack likes this.
Old 04-02-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Sounds like a great summer!

Does it really take that much longer? Origo claims 7000 BTU, and I just looked up my home Frigidaire gas range and it say 9500 BTU for the standard burners (not counting my favorite burner, the Power Plus 17000 BTU), so by those numbers it should only take about a third longer to reach boiling. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

My butane camping stove is also 7000 BTU and for some reason it seems faster that the regular burners on my home range. Maybe my patience is better when I'm in the great outdoors

Last edited by Minnesail; 04-02-2014 at 01:25 PM.