Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

as it should be on a boat...I didnt mind the slow cooking from my alcohol stove I found it very practical...

no urge at all...

propane even less...some burners are better than others but on a boat lets all just be happy sipping on some boat made coco or coffee etc...
Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
True. "If you have (uncontrolled) ignition of propane on your boat, the resulting fire is the least of your problems"
Rarely a fire with propane - there isn't much oxygen left after the explosion.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
Old 04-02-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Sounds like a great summer!

Does it really take that much longer? ...
Not really. Keeping the cover on the pot has a far larger effect.

Over-all, the cooking times probably are (at most) 15 or 20% longer with a Origo-type stove relative to most propane boat stoves; but if you're in such a rush that 15-20% is gonna be a deal breaker what the f__k are you sailing for?
Minnesail and captain jack like this.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?

Last edited by Puddin'_Tain; 04-02-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2014

gptyk is on a distinguished road

Did this ever get to the simplest and safe thing for cal-27 is an origo? Looks like 10 new pages from yesterday....Wow... And I though sailors were argumentative about anchors -- never knew da cooker was such a hot topic.
Old 04-02-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sounds like a great summer!
It was. I cherish those memories still.

Quote:
Does it really take that much longer? Origo claims 7000 BTU, and I just looked up my home Frigidaire gas range and it say 9500 BTU for the standard burners (not counting my favorite burner, the Power Plus 17000 BTU), so by those numbers it should only take about a third longer to reach boiling. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

My butane camping stove is also 7000 BTU and for some reason it seems faster that the regular burners on my home range. Maybe my patience is better when I'm in the great outdoors
What I remember is 15 minutes or so to the start of perking and then 10 to 12 minutes to the right color in the glass knob. On my current propane cooker with the same percolator it takes about five minutes to the beginning of perking and 8 minutes to coffee. 13 minutes compared to about 26 minutes is a difference.

I simply don't believe 7000 BTU for an alcohol burner. I don't see how the heat of combustion supports that. Admittedly I haven't run numbers. If you can point me to specs I'll follow up with the manufacturer and see if they'll support side-by-side test.

The difference between butane and propane is only of interest in very cold weather. Otherwise it's the same stuff.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-02-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Hmmm...alcohol stoves can't cook pasta? "
Not that they can't, but no cold burner is going to get a BIG pot of water to a rolling boil in a reasonable time, compared to a burner with twice as many BTUs. With some burners at 6800 and others at 11000 and that superburner at 17000...
Hey, I had a home stove that always had yellow flames on the burners, no matter how I adjusted them. With "municipal" piped gas. I finally called the gas company and they guessed it was simply so old, leftover from maybe 1940, that they thought it might have been designed for "coal gas" and it simply never would be able to make a modern blue flame. It has cold burners, no way to improve them.

Granted I've never boiled a corned beef or a really big pot of lobsters on a boat...but I've used some large pots and wee chilly burners just don't get them going in a reasonable time. They won't get a wok sizzling, they won't sear a steak in a cast iron pan, they' just adequate for the smaller lighter tasks. Which is fine if that floats your boat. But 5-6,000 but? Really? Just 'cause I can grill sushi over a Zippo lighter, doesn't mean that's a really great way to do it.

The old Coleman fuel (gasoline) stoves were around 7000 BTU each burner. Newer ones may run 10000 BTU.

Last edited by hellosailor; 04-02-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-02-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
It was. I cherish those memories still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I simply don't believe 7000 BTU for an alcohol burner. I don't see how the heat of combustion supports that. Admittedly I haven't run numbers. If you can point me to specs I'll follow up with the manufacturer and see if they'll support side-by-side test.
Here's what I was going by: Origo 3000 & 1500 Alcohol Stoves

I'll probably be picking one up this summer. If I do, I'll do a side-by-side with my home range and my camping stove and post the results here.
captain jack likes this.
Old 04-02-2014

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

Your home range is an unfair comparison. You need to compare Origo to a marine Propane stove. As I showed in my post a couple pages back they are similar in BTU. Most marine propane stoves have a much smaller burner than do most home stoves.
Old 04-02-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Here's what I was going by: Origo 3000 & 1500 Alcohol Stoves

I'll probably be picking one up this summer. If I do, I'll do a side-by-side with my home range and my camping stove and post the results here.
Interesting. They do say 7000 BTU and claim 10 minutes to boil a quart of water. West Marine advertises the same product with 5000 BTU which gets into the 15(ish) minute range of my experience. I have no explanation, only my observations. Your proposed side-by-side comparison would be useful. Be sure to use the same amount of water, the same pots, the same ambient temperature, and the same measurements.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-02-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I could never get a ROLLING boil on my pop down alcohol wick stove...a nice simmer yes...but I could barely do so on a propane range

not a force 5 but some cheap 3 burner oven combo

in any case it was fine for coco, coffee, ramen any canned soup...etc

there are tricks to make any stove and any fuel be hotter for example

on any open flame burner by making a shield out of copper preffereably that tightly surrounds the base of the pot or pan you increase the heat a lot, especially since wind and or cold air will not push away the flames

they sell kits for example for paella cooking tripods when used out in fields and this keeps the flames going nicely

just a thought for those of you with "low" btu burners...

same for ovens

by reducing the size of the inside area with heat resistant material or even using thin flat bricks as a hot plate you can mantain a much better heat and steady temp as well as decrease fuel consumption

cheers dudes

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Last edited by christian.hess; 04-02-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.