Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

Origo has much more surface area burning alcohol than a wick-based alcohol stove. They really do perform pretty well and have no problem boiling a gallon or more of water in a reasonable amount of time. Their biggest problem is that they produce a single hot spot instead of a well distributed flame, so they work best with heavy pots. They do include a diffuser to help with this as well.
Old 04-02-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

cool

there are ways to distribute heat better too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post
Most marine propane stoves have a much smaller burner than do most home stoves.
But a good stove like a Force 10 is fast at bringing water to a boil or whatever it is you are cooking. Whether I am using an aluminum fry pan or a thick bottom stainless pot I have not ever cooked on a faster stove. Same for bringing the oven up to temp. I have not timed it but have used many stoves over the years - alcohol, kerosene, naptha (and electric in a house). I have never used a gas appliance on land, just in my boats.

I do know the time required to boil on the Wallas diesel cooktop I posted about earlier. It is rated at 6500 Btu. 2 quarts of tap temp water on a hot stove takes 12 minutes to boil.
Old 04-03-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I was just cruising through craigslist and I found 5 or 6 PRESSURIZED alcohol stoves and not one propane stove oven combo...

wonder why?
wink wink

they were cheap too captainjack

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 04-03-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I have no passion for what one prefers to have as galley fuel.

However, I will add to the chorus on the concern over alcohol fuel. As kids, our boat had an alcohol stove and my mother cautioned us to stay away from it 24/7, no matter what. It was an evil pariah aboard. The simple reason was that you couldn't see the flame. Lighting paper or a box or your clothing aflame is a genuine concern with alcohol. One may be extraordinarily careful or not have kids aboard or any guest to every worry about. To each their own.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-03-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i have used propane since 1990 without problems and i have rarely used safety precaution of solenoid. just remember to turn off the gas before changing tanks.....
propane burns hotter than alcohol. try cooking abalone on alcohol..you WILL only have shoe rubber. btd..

and i never cook safes.....they get too hot ....cannot open them when too hot....
Minnesail likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 04-03-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
However, I will add to the chorus on the concern over alcohol fuel. As kids, our boat had an alcohol stove and my mother cautioned us to stay away from it 24/7, no matter what.
That was almost certainly a pressurized alcohol stove. Besides the fuel these have nothing in common with the unpressurized ones. I don't think anyone in this thread has recommended a pressurized alcohol stove.
captain jack likes this.
Old 04-03-2014

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

its amazing how the disinformation keeps being injected into these threads. I feel like people just post without having followed the thread from the beginning
Old 04-03-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The simple reason was that you couldn't see the flame. Lighting paper or a box or your clothing aflame is a genuine concern with alcohol. One may be extraordinarily careful or not have kids aboard or any guest to every worry about.
I can see that the colorless flame thing could be an issue. We have a simmer burner on our range that has an almost invisible flame and I have been known to leave it on overnight until my wife notices it the next morning.

It's been a long time since I've taken chemistry, but you'd think you could add something to the fuel to give it a color. Dose it with a little borax or something.
Minnewaska likes this.
Old 04-03-2014

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: safe cooking / flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I can see that the colorless flame thing could be an issue. We have a simmer burner on our range that has an almost invisible flame and I have been known to leave it on overnight until my wife notices it the next morning.

It's been a long time since I've taken chemistry, but you'd think you could add something to the fuel to give it a color. Dose it with a little borax or something.
i wonder if the comments about invisible flames refer to Pressure Alcohol stoves? I have heard that before and do believe it... but our Origo flame is Always yellow/Blue and never difficult to see, no matter what height it burns.
As for the invisible problem - yup - it's real and a friend of mine had to abandon a sailboat in Commencement Bay (Tacoma, WA) many decades ago when a sailboat he was crewing on had a galley fire fed by a pressurized alcohol tank. He said that no one saw the spreading flames until the fire was well going and everyone jumped to nearby boats and the boat itself then burned up.
Evidently the fire started with a faulty hose connection on the back of the stove that somehow ignited.
Considering how little attention some folks pay to their galley fuel systems - propane or pressure alcohol - I can imagine how such problems might happen. Scary stuff.
As I said before, the Origo design has merit for it's simplicity and basic safety. Having said all that, NO combustable fuel will ever be 100% safe for all users all of the time.

BTW, don't know if this horse is thoroughly dead yet, but he's not movin' much!

Loren
captain jack likes this.