Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
We have discussed this several times in this thread (you may want to read it). You are confounded about kerosene burnt through a wick and through a generator. The first stinks, the second doesn't.

I don't know what makes you think that there is no kerosene available in Mexico. It is correct that consumption at the end consumer level is way down, probably due to replacement by other light and energy sources. Still, in 2010 (last data available), the country still used 430 barrels a year: Mexico Kerosene Consumption by Year (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Oh, and if there weren't any kerosene, they wouldn't be flying planes (Jet A fuel is kerosene).
ok. get here to mexico and try to buy it. it is not for sale to citizens nor turistas. it is for government use only.
i am here in mexico finding that which i need and learning about that which is unavailable and you argue with me. this is hy larry us. definitely troll behaviour, thankyou very much. i have beeen writing from mexico fro over three years now.
i have actually been thanked when folks meet me for the info i post for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2014

i am still looking for yŠlls recipe for safes..could well be a good alternative to rock soup.

Old 04-04-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

well I was shot down...since captain jack isnt leaving the states sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

thats that for various fuel consumption sources in different countries

down here the word KEROSENE doesnt even exist...they use the word solvente or gas(gas in this case is DIESEL which is like kerosene but NOT exactly the same, as jet fuel either)

point being a pint of gas(diesel solvent) is around 8 bucks...vey expensive when you compare that to propane which is subsidzied by government and around $11 for 35lbs!

diesel at the pump is $4 but you would be very smoky and sooty doing so...yes there are diesel cookers down here but no go on a boat they are messy

as a fellow cruiser a while back I did a few refueling trips for some who needed a propane refuel for their boats on my motorcycle...

I got charged by the pound up here in san salvador loaded it back on my bike rode down to the anchorage and bobs your uncle

I also mentioned that not all places even in the states "view" alcohol or kerosene as cooking fuel so it is more scarce...but like everything good up north once you find a cood purveyor and price you just keep going to that place and your good to go

anywhoo

my input in this thread is done I guess...

hope jack gets a nice little stove for his boat and gets cooking stuff for the girlfriend

peace
zeehag likes this.

Last edited by christian.hess; 04-04-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Funny, but there was a post in the"Spot" thread with a link to an article in
Latitude 38
about a "well known single hander" in his Cal 2-27... After 5 solo crossings from SD to Hawaii, he lost a shroud and eventually the mast while en route from Kahlului to Lahaina.
awesome. a cal 27 blue water boat. makes me feel good about the saeworthiness of these boats. thanks for the link.

1971 Cal 27

Old 04-04-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
well I was shot down...since captain jack isnt leaving the states sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

thats that for various fuel consumption sources in different countries

down here the word KEROSENE doesnt even exist...they use the word solvente or gas(gas in this case is DIESEL which is like kerosene but NOT exactly the same, as jet fuel either)

point being a pint of gas(diesel solvent) is around 8 bucks...vey expensive when you compare that to propane which is subsidzied by government and around $11 for 35lbs!

diesel at the pump is $4 but you would be very smoky and sooty doing so...yes there are diesel cookers down here but no go on a boat they are messy

as a fellow cruiser a while back I did a few refueling trips for some who needed a propane refuel for their boats on my motorcycle...

I got charged by the pound up here in san salvador loaded it back on my bike rode down to the anchorage and bobs your uncle

I also mentioned that not all places even in the states "view" alcohol or kerosene as cooking fuel so it is more scarce...but like everything good up north once you find a cood purveyor and price you just keep going to that place and your good to go

anywhoo

my input in this thread is done I guess...

hope jack gets a nice little stove for his boat and gets cooking stuff for the girlfriend

peace
thanks for the good wishes, sir.

1971 Cal 27

Old 04-04-2014

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok. get here to mexico and try to buy it. it is not for sale to citizens nor turistas. it is for government use only.
i am here in mexico finding that which i need and learning about that which is unavailable and you argue with me. this is hy larry us. definitely troll behaviour, thankyou very much. i have beeen writing from mexico fro over three years now.
i have actually been thanked when folks meet me for the info i post for them.
Why are you so defensive? We are discussing availability of cooking fuels, for crying out loud! How aggressive do you get when the Really Important Questions of life are discussed, like "what is the best anchor?"

I may be a lame gringo in Northville but I can operate machinery like Google. When I put in "kerosene in mexico," it does not tell me anything about kero having suddenly become a controlled substance down there that mere mortals are not even allowed to sniff. Instead, it gives me Yellow Pages to gas stations that sell the stuff (e.g. Mexico Kerosene in Mexico MO Yellow Pages by Superpages). Are you telling me all these gas stations are part of a secret government program where only the military fills up their jerrycans?
Old 04-04-2014

if you need to consider a mere splaination to folks as defensive. mebbe you should relearn psych 101a.

if it were still available in fueling stations then folks would actually be able to find the stuff....lol what have i said...fueling stations have gas, diesel, oil. only. if google sed otherwise, then the magical pump must be well hidden that no one can locate it.

Last edited by zeehag; 04-04-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2014

Greenhand is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why are you so defensive? We are discussing availability of cooking fuels, for crying out loud! How aggressive do you get when the Really Important Questions of life are discussed, like "what is the best anchor?"

I may be a lame gringo in Northville but I can operate machinery like Google. When I put in "kerosene in mexico," it does not tell me anything about kero having suddenly become a controlled substance down there that mere mortals are not even allowed to sniff. Instead, it gives me Yellow Pages to gas stations that sell the stuff (e.g. Mexico Kerosene in Mexico MO Yellow Pages by Superpages). Are you telling me all these gas stations are part of a secret government program where only the military fills up their jerrycans?
Those links seem to be to the town of Mexico, MO, rather than the country.
Old 04-04-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Actually, the Mexico to which that page refers is Mexico, MO (Missouri).

However, I also have some pretty serious doubts about the validity of Zeehag's claims about denatured alcohol and kerosene in Mexico (the country). I also Googled various combinations of "Mexico", "alcohol", and "kerosene" and I could find absolutely nothing about their use or importation being banned. In fact, I found several posts on various camping and boating sites indicating that both fuels are available.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 04-04-2014

arguing with those not able to forego ARGUING when provided a real time answer is totally not a valid option. come to mexico expecting to find easily or reasonably priced or even available stove fuels is an entirely different story. google aint always accurate... oh wait..is interwebz so must be real.
being here is real. not google

Last edited by zeehag; 04-04-2014 at 09:07 PM.