Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
This is interesting Propane is not now, nor has it ever been unsafe on boats. People are unsafe and do stupid things every day. Maintain your stuff and it will serve you.

care to expound on that? if there are things that ca be done to make sure nothing like that ever happens on my boat, i will think about the propane option a bit more before i totally rule it out. however, i have read a lot f posts that really don't support propane being a 'safe' fuel and after seeing that burnt out husk at the marina ( and picturing having been my boat ) that sinched it for me. but i'm always willing to listen to the voice of reason.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
One word:

kerosene!
wouldn't a kero cook stove stink like a kero heater? and what about the fumes? kero heaters can kill you. kero is safer to handle than, say, gas.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
Aye, there's the rub --- "when done correctly."

It only takes forgetting, or being distracted, or a leak in the line filling you bilge while you are cooking, ONCE to make for a really bad day.
so you can run an inboard and maintain it but not a line(hose)?

I mean there are installations here and I use tanks down here that are plastic hose, 2 stainless clamps and a valve...they last for years and years and years with absolutely no issues if you have a little grey matter between your ears...

what is hard about replacing a line every 2 years?

you can have a leak in the propane and be cooking and still nothing happens at all...I have done it when cooking at the beach house and you smell it...all you do is replace the valve or line next time you cook

on a boat having fan in the bige is stupidity and you are making something SO SIMPLE so complicated

its the potential sparks of said fan(especially if not a brushlessmotor) that would ignite propane

all you would need to do if you smell gas is simply open bilge and wave a pillow and the gas will flow out

I mean come on guys

Old 03-30-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
failure cause of dumbass installations or bad useage was what caused problems

Even the best equipment, installed correctly, can fail. Beyond that, even the smartest people do dumb things from time to time; particularly when tired, or distracted. Now, can you honestly tell us that you've never been tired or distracted while sailing?
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 03-30-2014
new dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
care to expound on that? if there are things that ca be done to make sure nothing like that ever happens on my boat, i will think about the propane option a bit more before i totally rule it out. however, i have read a lot f posts that really don't support propane being a 'safe' fuel and after seeing that burnt out husk at the marina ( and picturing having been my boat ) that sinched it for me. but i'm always willing to listen to the voice of reason.
captain

its a shame you saw that but please do some reseacrh and see what caused it...ask him if need be...or the police report or whatever

propane is not unsafe...by any means and its one of the simplest installations and jobs to do on a boat

its just hose, clamps some tubing...and a valve or solenoid if you want

KISS

Old 03-30-2014
new dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
Even the best equipment, installed correctly, can fail. Beyond that, even the smartest people do dumb things from time to time; particularly when tired, or distracted. Now, can you honestly tell us that you've never been tired or distracted while sailing?

im not saying that man

geeze

Old 03-30-2014

Quote:
so you can run an inboard and maintain it but not a line(hose)?

I mean there are installations here and I use tanks down here that are plastic hose, 2 stainless clamps and a valve...they last for years and years and years with absolutely no issues if you have a little grey matter between your ears...

what is hard about replacing a line every 2 years?

you can have a leak in the propane and be cooking and still nothing happens at all...I have done it when cooking at the beach house and you smell it...all you do is replace the valve or line next time you cook

on a boat having fan in the bige is stupidity and you are making something SO SIMPLE so complicated

its the potential sparks of said fan(especially if not a brushlessmotor) that would ignite propane

all you would need to do if you smell gas is simply open bilge and wave a pillow and the gas will flow out

I mean come on guys
Sigh.....

Do what you want. I'll just use a stove that that is safe without relying on anything else.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 03-30-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

First off lets look at safety. You have a better chance of dying from brushing your teeth "fluoride" or dying in your car "read statistics" than you do from being blown up from a properly maintained system. If you are not comfortable with any fuel definitely don't use it. Life is too short to live it having doubts about the safety of your boat. I'm not a fan of anything electric on a boat but thats just me. Kill those batteries and you don't get your mooring coffee, half way to Hawaii and this could cause a mutiny. Once you leave the states you will not find alcohol as Hess commented or CNG, you will however find propane in the most BFE places on the planet and its cheap. I housed my entire line in PVC tubing to protect it from me being an idiot at the throwing my knive collection... at it. I plumbed it fasted to the underside of my deck so it was as safe and out of the way as possible. If the tank valve fails, It can happen. You still have the stove valve. Blow through a straw and you will create 100 times more pressure that is coming through the regulator, very low pressure system. It stinks to holy heaven, I can't imagine how anyone could miss a leak. One last note just because you get a leak doesn't mean your boat will blow up. You have to be an extra special type of moron to blow your boat up with propane.

Old 03-30-2014

Quote:
im not saying that man

geeze
But that is the point. Propane is only "safe" if everything works correctly and/or the operator does everything he/she should. While the latter is true for all fuels, the chances of screwing up with a non-pressurized stove are FAR less, and even if you do the fumes are far less likely to cause an explosion and/or fire.
Old 03-30-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I like the simplicity of my non- pressurized alcohol stove. Yeah, lower energy potential than Porpane, but unless you do all of your cooking on high flame, the actual difference is pretty negligible on a small burner, small footprint marine stove. An over or a large footprint burner would be a different story.

another advantage of a small alcohol stove is the "hoseless" portability. want to do a fondue or grill night with friends in the cockpit? Bring the alcohol stove outside, put it on the cockpit table, and you are good to go.

Another "safe" alternative is small butane ranges. 2-Burner Butane Countertop Range / Portable Stove with Brass Burners

Not as durable as a stainless steel alcohol range, but at the price, you could buy one a year for 10 years before the cost difference is eaten up.
captain jack likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to bljones For This Useful Post:
captain jack (03-30-2014)