Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

I'm a bonehead and it was safe for me. I found a rack online to store small tank on stern rail, very simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

just to add to the discussion I used an origo twin pop down burner alcohol stove that came with my international folkboat really cool stove that stowed as a unit like a locker than simply popped down for use...

safe easy to use the only drawback was expense buying fuel even in california...

the flame was almost impossible to see its was low btys so boiling water for coco or a ramen was not exactly instant and it could be on and you wouldnt know about it unless you put your hand over it...

but Im a cook so flames dont scare me that bad as Im used to flare ups and whatnot...

so its understable to have a natural bad reaction to gas stoves and the like but it can be made simply on any fuel really

just use some common sense and prudency

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
BJ I'm currently using this system as I rebuild my galley and they are great but also VERY dangerous and have a history of blowing to high hell. We have a ten minute max before we enter the danger zone. That being said when we took a knock down this summer "captains fault" we taco'd the stove, our second lost stove to date "captain needs to install reef lines" and it was about 24 bucks to replace. Finding fuel can be a challenge. I would guess I have used these about 1500 meals to date and love it minus fear of early entrance to heaven
you are talking about butane?

1971 Cal 27

Old 03-30-2014

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Can propane explode? Sure. Is it too risky? Do its benefits outweigh its risks? Well, that's an entirely subjective calculation that everyone has to answer for himself.

I will note that lots of houses (at least in New England) are HEATED by propane. Many homes across the country have propane gas fireplaces. Of course, many more homes are heated with natural gas (and have gas stoves and fireplaces.) Occasionally, some of those explode. Of course, lots of houses burn down because of electrical fires. Most things are not completely safe, but risks can be minimized and managed.

I have propane on my boat and and fine with it. But when I bought her, I replaced all the propane lines and valves with new. I put in a new stove with a thermocouple (the old one did not have that safety feature.) I have a solenoid and a sniffer. And I'm annal about turning the gas off at the tank every time I'm not using it and letting the gas burn out of the lines before I shut the appliance off.

Bottom line is that I think propane is very safe if used with care. I think that goes for most things. Turn off the brain and things can go south in a hurry for a whole basket of reasons...
christian.hess likes this.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 03-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Just for info there has been a tragic accident where a long term cruiser has been found with severe injuries next to a burning yacht off the coast of St Vincent. He died.

A propane gas explosion is the likely cause.

Diving instructor believes British yachtsman John Garner's death was an accident | Mail Online
see......that's what worries me about propane. it does happen. and it happened in my marina. that's kind of close to home. too close to totally ignore.

1971 Cal 27

Old 03-30-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
you are talking about butane?
Yes, the stove can overheat and bottle is 1 inch from flame.

Old 03-30-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
see......that's what worries me about propane. it does happen. and it happened in my marina. that's kind of close to home. too close to totally ignore.
just to add to the fire that thread has foul play as one of the causes...

whatever the case just do your research and you will be rewarded wth tons of info

if I ever solo sail again on a small boat I repeat that james baldwins kerosene gimballed cooker is hard to beat

Old 03-30-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Some tips from Don Casey:
BoatUS – BoatTech – Propane Systems by Don Casey
The Following User Says Thank You to Multihullgirl For This Useful Post:
captain jack (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

I had these same fears of cooking with propane, alcohol, butane, etc...

My solution... I removed the original Origo stove which was in great condition but felt it better to use something more safe... what did I do... installed an induction stove into the galley opening and never looked back. I have a 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter that runs the unit and since it's very efficient there is no need to worry about battery usage... haven't had a problem all the time I was using the stove on the boat and my wife that would have been non-skilled on the alcohol stove doesn't have a worry now... it is the first thing my next boat will have... all induction cooking/baking.

I do have a camp stove w/butane in the boat stored away for when we drop anchor on some shore and cook our foods with that.

I kept the Origo stove to replace back on the boat if when selling the buyer wants the alcohol stove... I put it in storage.

I will say it again... I have no worries ever again with the sort of worries others have with these types of flammable fuels.
Old 03-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I like the simplicity of my non- pressurized alcohol stove. Yeah, lower energy potential than Porpane, but unless you do all of your cooking on high flame, the actual difference is pretty negligible on a small burner, small footprint marine stove. An over or a large footprint burner would be a different story.

another advantage of a small alcohol stove is the "hoseless" portability. want to do a fondue or grill night with friends in the cockpit? Bring the alcohol stove outside, put it on the cockpit table, and you are good to go.

Another "safe" alternative is small butane ranges. 2-Burner Butane Countertop Range / Portable Stove with Brass Burners

Not as durable as a stainless steel alcohol range, but at the price, you could buy one a year for 10 years before the cost difference is eaten up.

holy hot plate batman! that is cheap.

1971 Cal 27

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.