Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Yes, the stove can overheat and bottle is 1 inch from flame.
well, now. that is a drawback!

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
just to add to the fire that thread has foul play as one of the causes...

whatever the case just do your research and you will be rewarded wth tons of info

if I ever solo sail again on a small boat I repeat that james baldwins kerosene gimballed cooker is hard to beat

that's the reason for the thread. i want to learn before i decide. i will have to look into that type of cooker. i am used to handling kero.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
I had these same fears of cooking with propane, alcohol, butane, etc...

My solution... I removed the original Origo stove which was in great condition but felt it better to use something more safe... what did I do... installed an induction stove into the galley opening and never looked back. I have a 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter that runs the unit and since it's very efficient there is no need to worry about battery usage... haven't had a problem all the time I was using the stove on the boat and my wife that would have been non-skilled on the alcohol stove doesn't have a worry now... it is the first thing my next boat will have... all induction cooking/baking.

I do have a camp stove w/butane in the boat stored away for when we drop anchor on some shore and cook our foods with that.

I kept the Origo stove to replace back on the boat if when selling the buyer wants the alcohol stove... I put it in storage.

I will say it again... I have no worries ever again with the sort of worries others have with these types of flammable fuels.
induction cooker are great...they are very popular in europe and especially france and spain and beleive it or not they are highly regarded by chefs in modern cooking...

MODERN COOKING IS LESS FLAME USE BTW...jajaja

I would live and induction cooker on a boat if I had good space to keep it working with panels, wind power etc...and a nice inverter like you have

they are very cool I think but budget wise not for me yet

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 03-30-2014

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Blow through a straw and you will create 100 times more pressure that is coming through the regulator, very low pressure system. It stinks to holy heaven, I can't imagine how anyone could miss a leak. One last note just because you get a leak doesn't mean your boat will blow up. You have to be an extra special type of moron to blow your boat up with propane.
Propane low pressure regulators are factory set at 3 PSI. if you can blow 100 times more PSI than that, id have to say you have been practicing.

Also someone mentioned that he/she only opens the valve 1/2 turn. Propane valves are double sealing valves and as such need to be all the way open or all the way closed or they can leak past the stem packing. How many super smart propane users knew that.
Old 03-30-2014

reading the link provided by multihullgirl doesn't make me feel all that good about propane or butane. i definately will be keeping them on the back burner ( sorry. i couldn't help it. it was such an obvious pun. it would have been negligent not to have gone there ) as i check out non-pressurized alcohol, CNG, electric, and induction.

strike that. induction and electric are out because of battery needs. just non-pressurized alcohol and CNG to choose from....oh, and kero.

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 03-30-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2014

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How would you get a leak in the line?
How do you get a leak in ANY line? There are many ways.

In the example discussed, a rat gnawed on it.

Last edited by MastUndSchotbruch; 03-30-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-30-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

You can always use wood

Old 03-30-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

The only problem with electric stoves, whether conventional electric or induction, is that you need a pretty hefty power source (usually a gen-set or shore power). I doubt a Cal 27-1 is going to have a gen-set, so you would be limited to cooking in places where you can get shore power. You can get a combo electric-alcohol (non-pressurized) stove from Origo, but they're pretty pricey. I used to keep a little electric hotplate on my boat so that I wouldn't need to burn alcohol at the dock, but I decided that it was just easier to used the alcohol stove even at the dock.
captain jack likes this.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 03-30-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
How do you get a leak in ANY line? There are many way.

In the example discussed, a rat gnawed on it.
If you have rats on your boat propane is the least of your problems. I guess a plane could crash into your boat that may sever the line.

Old 03-30-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How would you get a leak in the line?
It's a boat --- things break, wear through, jiggle loose, etc.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?