Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: safe cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Now that you know let me give you a little free advice that will save your life. Maintain your boat and it will maintain your life and lifestyle. How easy is that???
Alex, "What is unnecessary pollyannaesque condescension?"
I'll take "Armchair Hypothetical $500/mo. Cruisers with All the Answers" for $400.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 03-30-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to bljones For This Useful Post:
barefootnavigator (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

I might have a 500 budget but at least I can turn a stove on...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2014

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: safe cooking

Quote:
Let me take a minute and explain how a properly used and maintained propane system works very simply. There is a shut off at the tank it should be shut off IE NO FUEL IN LINE OR BOAT. RTFM
I couldn't even think of replying to this any better than bljones does in the previous posting
The Following User Says Thank You to MastUndSchotbruch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Let me take a minute and explain how a properly used and maintained propane system works very simply. There is a shut off at the tank it should be shut off IE NO FUEL IN LINE OR BOAT. RTFM
And if the valve seal(s) fail, or you get distracted and simply forget, or if the flame gets blown out, etc.???

Let ME take a minute and explain to you how alcohol stoves work --- they CANNOT produce explosive gases (I.E., NO POTENTIALLY EXPLOSIVE FUMES IN THE BILGE, OR ON THE BOAT IN GENERAL; NONE, ZERO, NADDA, ZIP, ZILCH). Propane, on the other hand IS an explosion risk, RTFM*.

(* - From the manual for a Dickinson propane unit: "LPG is heavier than air and if allowed will settle in lower areas resulting in a potential explosion.")
captain jack likes this.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?

Last edited by Puddin'_Tain; 03-30-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2014

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
And if the valve seal(s) fail, or you get distracted and simply forget, or if the flame gets blown out, etc.???

If the flame goes out then appliances with a thermocouple will automatically stop the flow of gas.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 03-30-2014

Quote:

Let ME take a minute and explain to you how alcohol stoves work --- they CANNOT produce explosive gases (I.E., NO POTENTIALLY EXPLOSIVE FUMES IN THE BILGE, OR ON THE BOAT IN GENERAL; NONE, ZERO, NADDA, ZIP, ZILCH). Propane, on the other hand IS an explosion risk, RTFM*.

(* - From the manual for a Dickinson propane unit: "LPG is heavier than air and if allowed will settle in lower areas resulting in a potential explosion.")
What if a rat eats through your storage bottle and you accidentally point your lit blow torch it the hole where alcohol is leaking out.

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 03-30-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2014

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Checking for a leak on propane lines is so easy and fast that it can (and should be) done periodically.

Turn tank valve on. Immediately turn it off. Note reading on pressure gauge. Wait 5 minutes. Look at pressure gauge again. It's that easy.

If the pressure has dropped at all, you have a leak. Do not use the propane system until you have found and fixed the leak.

I find the "What if (insert low probability event here)?" a bit silly.

As I said before, propane can explode. (So can gas fumes.) Everyone has to decide what risks to take and how to mitigate them.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiminri For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What if a rat eats through your storage bottle and you accidentally point your blow lit torch it the hole where alcohol is leaking out.
No fuel is absolutely safe. However, propane is inherently more risky than alcohol. No amount of valves, sniffers, and assorted safety gizmos will ever change that simple fact. If you feel propane is worth the risk, fine, feel free to use it to your heart's content. It's your life. But I will also feel free to tell folks the facts. If I'm wrong, I take a minute or two longer to cook my lunch. If you're wrong, BOOM! You make your choice, I'll make mine.

End of discussion, as far as I'm concerned.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?

Last edited by Puddin'_Tain; 03-30-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2014

Quote:
As I said earlier, no fuel is absolutely safe. Propane is inherently more risky than alcohol. No amount of valves, sniffers, and assorted safety gizmos will ever change that simple fact. If you feel propane is worth the risk, fine, feel free. It's your life. But I will also feel free to tell folks the facts. If I'm wrong, I take a minute or two longer to cook my lunch. If you're wrong, BOOM! You make your choice, I'll make mine.

End of discussion, as far as I'm concerned.
The problem with coming into the middle of a thread like this is you miss all the previous posts like where I gave a very specific positive example of years of use with a a non pressurized alcohol stove, they are great. Propane stoves are also great and safe as is kerosene when used properly.

Old 03-30-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A car or house are NOT the same as a boat. If you haven't noticed, a boat has a bilge. That bilge collects fumes. You can vent the bilge with a fan, but relying on electrical gizmos that live in a salty, damp environment, to prevent an explosion is problematic at best. Why not just avoid the dangerous fumes all together?
Gee, do you have a stove in your car, I don't! Never have! No, the point there was that DRIVING is more dangerous than having a propane stove on a boat; do you understand that point now?
For crying out loud, talk about missing the point, much!
christian.hess likes this.