Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Adding a topping lift, or the heck with sheaves

The delrin sheaves you mention may be just fine. Just be sure they have the same diameter, and that the recess is shaped properly to carry rope and that the walls are smooth so if the rope jumps, it isn't running on a sharp edge.
AlaskaMC likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2014
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
When I had a hank-on boat I would bring the jib and spin halyards to the bow pulpit, but anywhere away from the mast is good.

Almost every boat that I sail on uses the main halyard to support the boom when docked. It's the best way to lift the boom high off of the cockpit if you want to hang out in there. Most topping lifts (like the design that I described above) allow you to lift the boom up to a foot to support it while raising sail and to provide sail shape in extremely light air. They aren't meant to lift it farther.
Ok, this sounds easy (your plan for the topping lift and how to put it together) but I have a devil's advocate question; why not run it up the mast through a block and down to the top of the boom. This is how it is on the boats we have run in the past (newer/larger) so that it can act as an emergency halyard if needed. Why not just do this with dynema line. I am sure there is a good reason I just am new and not getting it.

EDIT: And one more question, if you are on a run downwind and want to adjust, isn't it a pain if the line is cleated on the boom vs in an organizer/clutch on the cabin top? Again, asking as I have never had one on my boat.

Last edited by AlaskaMC; 03-31-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Additional ?
Old 03-31-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
Ok, this sounds easy (your plan for the topping lift and how to put it together) but I have a devil's advocate question; why not run it up the mast through a block and down to the top of the boom. This is how it is on the boats we have run in the past (newer/larger) so that it can act as an emergency halyard if needed. Why not just do this with dynema line. I am sure there is a good reason I just am new and not getting it.
On your boat there isn't space for a second sheave to run a second main halyard. Adding one is a lot more work.

You also need to splice something to the dyneema that will work in a cleat. Dyneema is extremely slippery and doesn't work in cleats, clutches, or knots without a cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
EDIT: And one more question, if you are on a run downwind and want to adjust, isn't it a pain if the line is cleated on the boom vs in an organizer/clutch on the cabin top? Again, asking as I have never had one on my boat.
I only adjust the topping lift about one out of every ten sails on my boat. It normally stays adjusted just longer than the leech of my sail so that it flies out of the way when sailing, but keeps the boom off of the dodger when the sail is down. It's not worth the cost and expense to run it back to the cabin top in my opinion. In general I'm not a believer of running all lines aft.

It is easy enough to go forward to the boom if I need to adjust this line, since I'd only do so in light wind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex W For This Useful Post:
AlaskaMC (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
On your boat there isn't space for a second sheave to run a second main halyard. Adding one is a lot more work.

You also need to splice something to the dyneema that will work in a cleat. Dyneema is extremely slippery and doesn't work in cleats, clutches, or knots without a cover.

I only adjust the topping lift about one out of every ten sails on my boat. It normally stays adjusted just longer than the leech of my sail so that it flies out of the way when sailing, but keeps the boom off of the dodger when the sail is down. It's not worth the cost and expense to run it back to the cabin top in my opinion. In general I'm not a believer of running all lines aft.

It is easy enough to go forward to the boom if I need to adjust this line, since I'd only do so in light wind.
That makes perfect sense. I would have fun full into the dyneema and cleat issue since I don't have any yet on the boat. Woulda been a head slapper, thanks. On the adjusting, same thing, thanks. Makes perfect sense. We are moving some things aft and adjusting some things to mimic the larger boat we use much more rarely, but only where it makes sense.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2014

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
Al,

consider a Boomkicker instead of a topping lift. Works along with your vang and about the same price as a topping lift kit. We love ours and we trailer every sail.

Don

Good advice...I love my boomkicker
Old 04-01-2014
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoyz View Post
Good advice...I love my boomkicker
Thanks, well thats two for the boom kicker! My wife likes the idea of them too and it isn't much of a difference in price. Time to look at these too! I love how as I finish projects on a boat the list actually gets longer.
Old 04-29-2014
Frozen Member

Ok, finally back to this one after diversions onto many projects that caused the masthead to be 28 feet above my head. But she is back down now and I need some help.

What the heck are these? Sorry if this is a total newbie kinda question but it doesn't look like any rivet I have ever used.

I have an exact match to this fitting on a destroyed old block and have tried drilling it out and punching out. Can these be removed so the sheaves can be replaced? Or do I have to replace the head piece.

What do you all think?
Old 04-29-2014

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Drill out the end, punch out the pin and replace the sheave with a stainless bolt and locknut

Easy peasy lemonsqueazy

(Actually, it is a PIA but if you get sheave from a consignment shop it sure beats the big $$$ you would throw for a new masthead)
The Following User Says Thank You to blutoyz For This Useful Post:
AlaskaMC (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014
Frozen Member

So that head in the first pic is just a rivet head? Drill out and tap out as you would a typical rivet? That is easy if so. Is that just a washer under the head?

Thanks! Then I would just replace with a SS bolt and locknut and a new sheave? That does sound easy!
Old 04-29-2014
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I have used those delrin sheaves from McMaster to replace a sheave in my boom.
One nice thing about the delrin is I was able to easily adjust the shape of the sheave a bit by sanding the sides to make it "thinner" and a drill bit made the pivot hole slightly larger to fit my application.
So you don't need an exact fit but as close as possible given the sizes of delrin sheaves McMaster Carr sells.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
AlaskaMC (04-29-2014)