Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Adding a topping lift, or the heck with sheaves

Alaska,

I'm a little late to the party, but I have something to add: You should be using clevis pins and cotters to attach the halyard sleeves to the masthead. Nuts and bolts, even when using nylocks and locktite can work loose. The rigger's way is to use clevis - add SS washers to shim the pins to both relieve stress on the cotters and to prevent movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeB For This Useful Post:
AlaskaMC (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Thanks George. That is a good point and all the sheaves that are for my masthead come with the pins etc from Dwyer.

On the drilling end, WOW, these things are like nothing I have ever tried to drill out before. Any tips anyone? I flattened my punch just trying to get a dent to drill into. About to go grab an angle grinder to do it.
Old 04-29-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

They are almost certainly stainless. You want new/sharp cobalt bits, low speed, cutting oil, and pressure so that you make progress on every blade rotation. If the bit just spins it will work harden the stainless and make it harder than a high speed steel bit.

I'd be drilling off the concave part of the pin. Once the head comes off (not much material to remove) you just use a pin drift to knock the pin out of the masthead.
AlaskaMC likes this.
AlaskaMC (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Alaska,
Stainless is so much fun! Stainless is very hard so drilling generates a lot of heat and work tempers the steel. You need to buy a set of colbalt drill bits. Carbide will do in a pinch but will get dull. "normal" bits just get dull and won't cut SS. Use cutting oil to keep the work "cool" and well lubricated. Drill very, very slowly and use a lot of pressure on the drill. When done properly, the drillings should come out in "twists" If it is coming out in "chips", you are probably drilling too fast.
AlaskaMC likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeB For This Useful Post:
AlaskaMC (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014
Frozen Member

Done! But these are not pop rivets in the normal sense. I went down to get a grinder after little to no luck with my good bits and cutting oil. So, while picking up the grinder I show the little block with these on it to the salesperson. He had never seen such a thing and we hear a guy laughing behind us hearing us talk of drilling them out. He was a Navy machinist. He said he had ground off tons of these fittings before. They are a rivet of sorts but a custom make with a special press that puts them together. He said to grind the conclave side of the stud until the washer came off. Then tap out the head with a punch. He was right. Took about 30 seconds each.

The shafts on these are solid stainless and heavy. You would have a heck of a time drilling the "head" side of these as you will go through about a 1/4'' of material before you can do any good. The other side on the other hand is about a 16th and done.

Maybe you can drill these out, but after doing them I would recommend a grinder. These are definitely not pop rivets and are not going to drill out like one.

Now onto finding the sheaves to replace it. Thanks for all the help on this everyone.
Old 04-29-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

That is why I recommended drilling out the "tail" (concave) part of the pin. I've removed rivets like that with a drill and it worked just fine. A grinder also works, you just need a steadier hand to avoid marking up any of the surrounding metal.
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 04-30-2014
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
That is why I recommended drilling out the "tail" (concave) part of the pin. I've removed rivets like that with a drill and it worked just fine. A grinder also works, you just need a steadier hand to avoid marking up any of the surrounding metal.
You were right on going for the tail of the pin thats for sure. The grinder was really easy and all is well. Now I am shopping for sheaves. Oh joy, never knew how many different sizes there were out there. Mine is 1 3/8 OD, 1/4 ID, 9/16 wide, pretty specific and I actually just found them amazingly. Now I hope I can get them as we splash in two weeks time and there is still a pile to do.
Old 05-01-2014

Memopad is on a distinguished road

If for whatever reason you replace those pins you drilled out with bolts, get bolts that are too long so that the part the sheave rides on is smooth (no threads). Then cut off the excess threads on the other side of the mast head. Most sheaves will have some kind of a metal collar that they ride on, but the threads on a bolt can still chew them up, so getting rid of the threads helps a lot.
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 05-01-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

A short length of ss shaft and drill for pins on both sides solves the thread problem.
Memopad and AlaskaMC like this.
Old 05-01-2014
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memopad View Post
If for whatever reason you replace those pins you drilled out with bolts, get bolts that are too long so that the part the sheave rides on is smooth (no threads). Then cut off the excess threads on the other side of the mast head. Most sheaves will have some kind of a metal collar that they ride on, but the threads on a bolt can still chew them up, so getting rid of the threads helps a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
A short length of ss shaft and drill for pins on both sides solves the thread problem.
Good points guys. But, I have already gone the pin route as suggested by George. In fact just got back from WM after having my wallet emptied and my credit maxed.

How is it that happens every time I enter that place? I feel woosy, don't remember exactly what happened, have a car full of stuff and my bank is calling me due to unusual activity. Well, that last one has stopped due to it being usual activity. Truly, who cares, I have a big bag of stuff to go through.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.