Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: Cetol Marine Finish Woes

I've never had problems with the cetol and I'm using foam brushes and second the comment about the gloss giving a more durable finish than just the natural alone. I thought it would be the other way around. The other thing that I do is to use a damp rag to wipe down after roughing up the surface instead of using a solvent. In either case make sure the surface has enough time to completely dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Interesting problem.

I've been shaking my Cetol can to mix it, and using cheap, disposable, bristle brushes. There are bubbles in the can, but they never translated over to the wood.

Stir to mix, and use a foam brush and see what happens. I went the extra mile and used the recommended Interlux thinner, instead of just acetone or generic paint thinner. That may or may not be your problem.
dacap06 and christian.hess like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-31-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Is the solvent you cleaned the wood with compatible? Just a WAG.
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-31-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

Bubbles can appear during the application of any coating on (POROUS) wood and whether brushed, sprayed, etc.

The usual 'cause/culprit' is SUNLIGHT and the heating of the wood surface which causes that portion of the coating that has partially penetrated to "OFF-GAS" ... and form bubbles. Once you laydown first coating which totally SEALS the natural porosity of the wood, rarely will you experience bubbles and no matter how much the sun heats the material. Its that FIRST thin coat that becomes WARMED/HOT before the coating fully sets/cures that is what causes bubbles.

The prevention: don t apply that first coat on a hot day or a day with lots of SUNLIGHT that will 'heat soak' the material under where the coating will be applied. First coats or thinned down 'spit coats' are best applied in the SHADE, and several 'spit coats' to ensure total sealing of the porosity. Once you fully SEAL the surface, then its time to lay on FULL THICK, wet coats.

Bubbles shouldnt be a problem but can cause a lot of needless extra work - resanding, filling the craters left by broken/sanded bubbles, etc. Better to put a shade over your work for the first few thinned down 'spit coats' and prevent this from happening. Even in the shade, you have to FEEL the surface temperture when applying first or spit coats .... and if that surface feel warm or HOT .... wait until a cooler time.

;-)
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 03-31-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

his issue is for sure not extra heat

all temps have different applying techniques down here we thin it out more especially the first coats...if too thick basically you runover the brush strokes and get hat orange peel look from physically moving the varnish too much

use ony the thinners recomended by the manufacturer and dont abuse the percentages they say

lastly its the wood prep that counts the most
what was the last grit used to finish the wood?

I have a purdy varnish brush that is damn good and almost 20 years old...the brush is very important unless using disposable foam brushes which are great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Is the solvent you cleaned the wood with compatible? Just a WAG.
this is an awesome point...I actually stopped doing the wipe with solvent or whatever to clean before the first coat...preffering actually to simply air dry and wipe with a clean new towel...

I noticed no cons to this method and never had any orange peel or incompatabilty issues from cleaning with so so solvents, acetones etc...

down here in intense tropic heat I have even washed down with water the sand finally with a very fine grit paper after sundrying

the first coat goes sun up and last before 11am or so...it will cure anddry throughout the rest of the day and then sand next morning

anywhoo
RichH likes this.

Old 03-31-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

I think christian.hess makes a VERY important point re: solvents and especially STRIPPERS (paint removers). If you dont remove the traces of these 'soaked-in' chemicals, either by allowing 'dry out completely' or following the recommendations for their subsequent extraction and removal, you always are at risk for - especially strippers - that are 'down deep' in the wood porosity to begin to attack your 'new' coating. When using chemical strippers, I feel, you should allow sufficient time (sometimes weeks if necessary) for these to completely remove themselves (effervescence, etc.) into the atmosphere and before apply 'new' coatings.

I have the tee shirt and sore hands/finger from applying 'new' over bare wood that I chemically 'stripped' when I 'rushed' ... and more than just a few times.

;-)
Old 03-31-2014

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

What you're seeing is dust, not air bubbles.
Read this section from Epifanes thoroughly; its a great reference and applies to Cetol as well as Epifanes. They recommend a bristle brush however I have used the foam ones with great success.
http://www.epifanes.com/qanda.htm

Last edited by Seaduction; 03-31-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: added reference material
Old 03-31-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Yup, could be dust too. When I did varnish work at home, I emptied every single thing out of the room and damp ragged every surface. All walls, ceiling, everything. If you have forced air heating, you're screwed! Block it off. Even convection through a window will stirs the air in the room and spread dust. It's a brutal game!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-31-2014

Boredop is on a distinguished road

I have used xylene as the preparation wash with great success, flashes off quickly and leaves no residue. I would recommend an activated charcoal respirator though as the fumes can be rather potent.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.