Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014

DearPrudence is on a distinguished road
Re: Cetol Marine Finish Woes

Having just completed my exterior teak re-finishing project this winter, I will say that when I saw bubbles, I would use a 3M Scotch Brite pad between coats of Cetol. It slowed me down some, but, the results were (are) worth it.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2014

rbyham is on a distinguished road

I too think wood prep is key. It is very easy to stop just short of the final sanding surface needed. Any "soft" teak layer will create a less than perfect application of any varnish. My guage for having reached the right level of sanding is when a tack cloth run over the surface does not catch at all... My recommendation would be to work with a short section and take it to complete smooth 400 grit. If that works you have your answer...
The Following User Says Thank You to rbyham For This Useful Post:
tomhuntdmd (05-26-2014)
Old 04-01-2014

heelangle is on a distinguished road

I have been using the Cetol Marine for 4 years now. Holds up much better than Spar Varnish, although not much chance for sun damage here in the Pacific NW.
In Hawaii my 5 coats of Spar Varnish used to last 6 months.
I have found the Cetol Marine a durable finish that holds up well and is scratch resistant. My last 4 coats lasted over 3 years. The only thing I don't love is the color. Seems they add some sort of iron compound to decrease sun damage to the finish, and it works!
If you are going to use it, don't shake it, or any varnish product. Only stir it and get all the thick stuff up from the bottom of the can. Shaking will cause bubbles. Also, I cannot believe all the people using sponge brushes. OK, so you are in Tahiti and can't find a Lowes, that is a good excuse. Otherwise, buy a good china bristle brush and go slowly for a really nice finish.
I don't like the Cetol Gloss finish. Way too shiny and way to slippery!
Teak forever.
Old 04-01-2014

CapnChuck is on a distinguished road

Our boat spends most of its life in south Florida and the Bahamas. We have found, over the years, that the base coat last a very short time without the gloss. It might not be a problem in northern climates. We try and spend as little time as needed in northern climates. Chuck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2014

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnChuck View Post
Our boat spends most of its life in south Florida and the Bahamas. We have found, over the years, that the base coat last a very short time without the gloss. It might not be a problem in northern climates. We try and spend as little time as needed in northern climates. Chuck
Right on! Cetol now recommends 2 or 3 coats of Cetol (light, natural or regular) followed by 2 coats of gloss.
Old 05-25-2014

NewBaySailor is on a distinguished road

It's been a year, but I'd like to add my voice to the mix - I have used cetol for almost 5 years and find that the Jenn foam brushes work best - they're available on E-bay. I have not had a problem with air bubbles in the finish, using a light touch, not over-working it on the wood, and keeping a wet edge. Also, I'd add that I use about 2 coats of cetol marine, and then follow up with one coat of cetol gloss, which seems to help maintain the finish longer. I let each coat dry, sand lightly or use a green 3m scrub pad, and then apply next coat. B.
Old 05-25-2014

lennyv is on a distinguished road

Try wiping the wood with acetone before applying the cetol. It will remove moisture from the wood. Also let the cetol breathe a few moments in the shade after stirring. I use cetol with a foam brush and put it on as thin as possible. A few thin coats are better than 1 thick coat. Good luck
bljones likes this.
Old 05-26-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Redid all the outside teak on my Cal 33 this spring. Took off the varnish with Citristrip, then heat gun on the tough spots, then sanding. Used Cetol Natural Teak and had no problems. I followed the recommendation on the can for the "two rag" cleaning using paint thinner. I like the look of the Natural Teak. Matches to color of varnished teak very well.