SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Cetol Marine Finish Woes (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/131009-cetol-marine-finish-woes.html)

Dave_E 03-31-2014 11:46 AM

Cetol Marine Finish Woes

Hi All,

I'm refinishing all the woodwork on the outside of the boat. Standard practices, sand down (removed all old finish), clean and wipe down with spirits, let dry, ready to apply finish.

I have a new can of Sikens Cetol Marine, applying it per instructins on the can. With a brush, I'm getting tiny bubbles. I can "brush" most of them out, but after 24 hours, the ones that remained are little "bumps" in the finish. So I lightly sand between coats, knock off the bumps, re-apply... same thing.

I'm using disposable brushes, should I be using a "good" brush? Should I apply the finish thicker? I know this is not a fine woodworking project, but since I am a woodworker (guitar builder), this is driving me nuts.

Dave

Alex W 03-31-2014 11:53 AM

Re: Cetol Marine Finish Woes

I use foam brushes with Cetol and don't have that problem. They work very nicely.

christian.hess 03-31-2014 11:59 AM

Im a fan of a very very good brush and use appropriately or disposable foam brushes

bubbles can be from unsettled varnish in the can...let it sit for a while or try softer brush strokes

if its too thick from the cold it can be this too and you have to spread it more

Dave_E 03-31-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex W (Post 1685866)
I use foam brushes with Cetol and don't have that problem. They work very nicely.

Thanks Alex, I'll give it a try.

doug1957 03-31-2014 12:25 PM

Agree on the foam brushes. We usually finish with a coat of gloss. Seems to last longer.

CapnChuck 03-31-2014 12:25 PM

We've been using Cetol for many years and we have lots and lots of teak. We mostly use foam brushes but also use the disposable type. The problem with the disposable type is the bristles falling out. Never had bubbles. Says your in Washington State. Don't try to apply Cetol if the wood is damp or wet and you need to follow the directions for minimum temperatures for application. Chuck

Dave_E 03-31-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnChuck (Post 1686010)
We've been using Cetol for many years and we have lots and lots of teak. We mostly use foam brushes but also use the disposable type. The problem with the disposable type is the bristles falling out. Never had bubbles. Says your in Washington State. Don't try to apply Cetol if the wood is damp or wet and you need to follow the directions for minimum temperatures for application. Chuck

Hey Chuck,

The wood is all in the garage, heated to 60-65 deg F. I hope it's the cheap brushes! And the hair falling out thing... :o

Dave

weinie 03-31-2014 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Never used cetol myself, but are you shaking the can rather than stirring?

Dave_E 03-31-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weinie (Post 1686202)
Never used cetol myself, but are you shaking the can rather than stirring?

No, but darn good thinking! Never shake varnish or shelac of any kind. ;)

Minnewaska 03-31-2014 01:10 PM

When you say you removed the old finish, was that fully down to the grain? Zero remaining impregnation? That's a ton of work and does need to be wiped with solvent anyway. I ask because many products are just not compatible with each other.

Some less nefarious possibilities are letting the product stand for 10 or 15 mins before applying. Warm up the room to at least 70 degs, which will improve flow. Use something other than Cetol (I'm just not a fan of the product).