Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Gennaker that is undersized - dangerous?

Is there any reason NOT to fly an undersized asymmetrical spinnaker (gennaker) from my boat?

The full details:

I have a gennaker from my previous boat, a 34-foot ketch. I now own a 37-foot cutter. The gennaker is a great sail. Basically brand new, all set up with its own ATN snuffer, swivel and control lines.

I know ... you're going to ask for the specs of the sail ... I don't have them. I do know the asym is sized for our ketch, which had a:
P: 33'
J: 12'

Our current boat (cutter) has:
P: 42'
J: 16'

I know this sail will be undersized for our cutter, but is there a danger in flying it? The things I'm wondering about is, since the luff will be too small, it will either be hoisted with the head lower than it should be, or the clew set too high ... that sort of thing. Should I hoist it with a long lead off the head, to have the clew lower, or should I live with the high clew ... does it matter?

I imagine it will take some fiddling, but other than being undersized, I don't think there is a problem giving this a try -- but I'm not a great sailor. Can I get into trouble using this sail on my cutter?
Old 04-01-2014

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Re: Gennaker that is undersized - dangerous?

Mike -
Only danger I can think of is boredom.
That's ok though, I'm a great fan of boredom at sea.
ChristinaM likes this.
Old 04-01-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Mike, I think it sounds like a horrible idea. You're going to put a lot of stress on places where it shouldn't be. Too high up, and the stress on the bow will be off on a weird angle, and you risk causing delamination. Too low, and you put the stress on the masthead at a weird angle and could put undue stress on the halyard sheave. Your best bet is to send it to me. My boat has a P of 34.4, and a J of 12, so it's almost a perfect fit. I'll send you my address.
ChristinaM likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

No problem at all. You'll be fine. Use it and enjoy it.

Long halyard or tack, it doesn't matter. Higher up it might catch more air, but have more heeling moment. Down low, it might obstruct visibility, but have less heeling moment. I've used undersized spinnakers before.

One raceboat I was on recently had an UNDERSIZED spinnaker that they used in extremely light winds. Everyone else in the racing world uses bigger spinnakers when the winds drop. The trick with the small chute was that it weighed less than the big ones, and thus would fly in winds where they bigger ones wouldn't. They called it "the secret weapon."

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-02-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

The only concern I would have is with a P that much shorter you may not be able to get the smaller one to trim correctly. The chute is going to be pretty unstable because of extra long line from the top and bottom. But I don't see that you could really break anything.
Old 04-02-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Mike, I think it sounds like a horrible idea. You're going to put a lot of stress on places where it shouldn't be. Too high up, and the stress on the bow will be off on a weird angle, and you risk causing delamination. Too low, and you put the stress on the masthead at a weird angle and could put undue stress on the halyard sheave. Your best bet is to send it to me. My boat has a P of 34.4, and a J of 12, so it's almost a perfect fit. I'll send you my address.
Jim.... Almost had me going. I wasn't sure until I got to the last sentence.
ottos likes this.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 04-02-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

The ONLY thing dangerous about it, you might get a grin going down wind, so since boat is about the same as yours too, how about if I take it off your hands, I'll raise the ante by paying shipping.............

That might then give you enough to go buy a proper sized genneker to REALLY enjoy using them.......

Marty
Old 04-02-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I don't see any reason not to give it a try. My bet is it will fly better, with the tack (which I think you are referring to as the clew) closer to the deck than the head is to the mast head. However, if you have an adjustable tack, which is easily made with a block on deck and leading the tack line back to a cleat, you can adjust to the sweet spot. Another poster made a good point about the weight of your sheets. Presumably, you'll have a bit more out on this boat and it may or may not be an issue for your spin to hold them up.

Go out and enjoy it and provide a full report!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-02-2014
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about

I have both on my boat, one undersized (chicken chute) and full sized. I find we use the undersized about 2/3 of the time. I sail in crowded waters and I like being able to see under it as it flies about 5 feet off the deck. I can also keep flying it as the breeze freshens. speed wise, it might cost you a knot or less in a light breeze.
Old 04-02-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone, even you oh-so generous folks who offered, out of sheer kindness, to take this little thing off my hands. You folks are the best .

I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes ... if the ice ever leaves our waters. These days even the icebreakers are having a hard time .
jimgo likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.