SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bent Rudder Post - C&C 36

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·

Recently I have experienced a bend in my rudder post. The top of the trailing edge binds against the hull as one passes centerline. Cause was striking a sunken log bundle underway.

We feel we have three choices:

1) File off the area of interference and operate until next years scheduled drydocking.

or

2) Haul the vessel now and remove the rudder and replace the entire unit or straighten the post in a press. This would be followed by a dye penetrant inspection for fractures.

or

3) Haul the boat. Lower the rudder some 3 inches and inspect for cracks in the post. Rig a chain hoist between the rudder and skeg and attempt to straighten the post.

Has anyone any experience with this type of situation?

PSSEATTLE@aol.com

See less See more
#3 ·

Our post was bent badly by a prior owner right above where post meets fiberglass of rudder. We cut off the old post & welded on a new post, using a sleeve within to strengthen. Fix has been fine, we have 100% confidence in it. Not sure that yours sounds as severely bent so you may be able to get by until hauling the boat next year, although it may cause unusual wear on fiberglass sleeve that post rides within - if that''s the design.

I would worry that re-bending may not work as once bent, I would think post would be weaker, especially if bent again to straighten.

My opinion only.

#4 ·

The post is reportedly hollow. We feel that the reason for this is three fold. First, weight reduction is always a consideration. Two, cost. The third is that if the rudder is to strike something quite rigid, something wants to fail that will not sink the hull. In this case, we believe the rudder may have been designed to bend in lieu of hull failure. Imagine the influx of seawater if the hull fractured about the post foundation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.