How much paint will I need to do the bottom of a 30 footer - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
Re: How much paint will I need to do the bottom of a 30 footer

VC-17 is a different animal. 2 qts is all that you need if you apply it right. 1st you need a solvent. Interlux has one called VC thinner which is relatively expensive. The rest of us use 95% isopropyl alcohol which is less than $2 at CVS. The trick is to roll it on with a 7" west systems foam roller. Don't use a hardware store roller it will disintegrate and it will make a mess. Mix up the whole can at once and keep the lid on. Only pour small amounts into the roller pan as this stuff evaporates quickly. Use the solvent to refresh the dried stuff in the pan. 10% is all that you want to dilute this stuff. Use the alcohol for clean up. When masking some people use 3m 355 electrical tape for fine edge then 2" masking tape. VC17 will go right through normal masking tape if get enough of it on the tape.

A really good alternative to VC-17 is Petit SR21. Chemically the same as VC-17 and compatible. West Marine rebrands SR-21 as FW-21 which starts on sale Thursday at WM for $45/qt.

Good luck!
algee likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2014

algee is on a distinguished road

Listen to Sandusky Sailor!!! He knows what he's talking about.
Old 04-06-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I just finished the bottom of my 30'. I got almost two full coats from a gallon of West Ablative.

It has lots of surface area too - a light fin keel would easily get two coats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-07-2014

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road

The obvious confusion by the some of the posters is that they are not familiar with VC 17. It is not the same a traditional bottom paint. It has the viscosity of water and goes a long way. Quite the opposite of an ablative paint. It should be a clue that VC17 is only sold in qts. At a cost of $240 per gallon and yearly application nobody would buy it if you needed 2 gallons for a 30 ft boat.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 04-08-2014

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
VC-17 is a different animal. 2 qts is all that you need if you apply it right. 1st you need a solvent. Interlux has one called VC thinner which is relatively expensive. The rest of us use 95% isopropyl alcohol which is less than $2 at CVS. The trick is to roll it on with a 7" west systems foam roller. Don't use a hardware store roller it will disintegrate and it will make a mess. Mix up the whole can at once and keep the lid on. Only pour small amounts into the roller pan as this stuff evaporates quickly. Use the solvent to refresh the dried stuff in the pan. 10% is all that you want to dilute this stuff. Use the alcohol for clean up. When masking some people use 3m 355 electrical tape for fine edge then 2" masking tape. VC17 will go right through normal masking tape if get enough of it on the tape.

A really good alternative to VC-17 is Petit SR21. Chemically the same as VC-17 and compatible. West Marine rebrands SR-21 as FW-21 which starts on sale Thursday at WM for $45/qt.

Good luck!
Thanks for the detailed reply. So I cant just use my green frog tape? that is what I would have used otherwise. Glad you brought it up.
Old 04-08-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I think that the answer is; it depends.

Four years ago I did the bottom of my O'day 35 (5.7' keel). It took almost 2 gallons of West Marine's CPP paint.

The next year I had the bottom soda blasted, and painted with 3 coats of Pettit Hydrocoat professionally (1 coat red, 2 coats blue). I supplied the paint, and the yard returned half of what I gave them.

Yesterday I did the bottom with Pettit Hydrocoat. I was very (pleasantly) surprised when it used less than a gallon for 1 coat. My helpers and I used two roller trays, and two 9" x ľ" nap rollers and a small brush.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 04-09-2014

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Yea, but I'm using vc17 remember?
Old 04-09-2014

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
I am painting my tartan 30 for the first time. I will be using vc17 and I swear someone told me that they use 2quarts but the chart for the product says I will need a gallon and a half. I dont want to buy any more than I need. I guess it could not hurt to buy a little at a time and just paint till I'm done? Or is a dry edge a problem. Either way if you have a similar size boat and have done this before, please let me know how much paint you use.
I used VC17 for years on a similar sized boat. 2 quarts would be max. It's very thin and unless your bottom is extremely rough, 2 quarts is plenty.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 04-09-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Is VC17 strictly a racing finish or is it anti-fouling?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-09-2014

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

From the Interlux Guide Previously mentioned.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/Literature...14-usa-eng.pdf

The Following User Says Thank You to TejasSailer For This Useful Post:
SloopJonB (04-09-2014)