Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Awlgrip cleaner/wax

Anyone have a suggestion for an appropriate one step cleaner/wax for an Awlgrip painted topside? Preferably something that could be applied with an random orbital on slow speed. (actually it's Alexseal, but fewer have heard of it and it should react the same)

It would definitely not want an abrasive cleaner and doesn't need one. Just to clean off bilge outlet stains.

I know some say no wax, but I disagree. I think it protects the finish. Easily washed off with the right detergent to prevent yellow build up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Awlgrip cleaner/wax

Anyone used this?

On-line Product Catalog:*3M? Marine Clean & Shine Wax, 09033, Clear, 16.9 oz, 6 per case

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-06-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Care and Maintenance Instructions for Alexsealģ
Premium Topcoat 501

Sealing and Protecting
It is recommended to apply a high quality wax or polymer sealer designed for surfaces
painted with polyurethane at least 2-3 times per year. This will act as a sacrificial coating
that will protect the paint and can dramatically improve the coatings life expectancy.
Important Notes
Many companies manufacture products for sealing and protecting painted surfaces. Only
use products that are specifically designed for surfaces painted with
polyurethane. These products should not contain abrasives or caustic chemicals.
Do not let moisture/water collect or be trapped between a Polyurethane Topcoat and
plastic film, shrink wrap, hardware, seat cushions, or wet fabric. Polyurethane topcoats
should not be continuously submerged under water. Moisture/water held against a
Polyurethane Topcoat even for a few days can result in bubbles forming in the
Polyurethane Topcoat.
Removing Stains
Remove stains from a polyurethane finish as soon as possible. Some stains
can actually etch the surface of the paint and embed into the coating. If a stain cannot be removed with
a mild detergent during the washing process, solvents may be used to loosen the stain.
Always start with mild solvents such as Mineral Spirits, VM & P Naphtha or Denatured
Alcohol. Harsher solvents such as Acetone and Lacquer Thinner should only be used as a
last resort. After removing the stain with solvent, wash the area with a mild detergent and
clean water to remove all solvent residues.
NU-Finish car wax
Old 04-06-2014

CapnChuck is on a distinguished road

Wax will ruin the Awlgrip finish. There is no shortcuts. Use Awlwash or car wash soap that is safe for all paints. Use only AwlCare on the finish. That is unless you don't mind having the boat need another coat of paint in the near future. Chuck
SchockT likes this.

Old 04-06-2014

If you use Nu-finish; by hand only. Pointless to use a buffer.
Old 04-06-2014

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Minnie,

Awlgrip is not like regular paint. It stratifies as it cures. The resin tends to rise to the suface of the paint as it dries, giving the paint a thin skin, while the pigment part sinks down. This skin is what is shiny. It protects the pigmentation, which is why the paint lasts 10 years if well cared for.

I'm not sure about Alexseal. I expect you should visit the web site and see what the vendor says.

The long and short of Awlgrip is that it should never be machine buffed, and should never be buffed at all if it still looks good, cause it is way too easy to screw it up. That skin is very thin and you can go through it. The Awlgrip web site says clean it with Awlwash and protect it using Awlcare.

There's a ton of help and advice available here on Sailnet with regard awlgrip and you should read it, but the best bet is trust what the manufacturer and knowledgeable distributors say. Use the link above to see what the manufacturer says; use this link to see an insteresting compare/contrast by Jamestown distributors. To query google for information from a specific site like Sailnet, pattern your query like the following search for Awlgrip buffing (but without the quotes):

"site:sailnet.com Awlgrip buffing"

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Tom
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 04-06-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2014

http://www.alexseal.com/docs/general...aintenance.pdf
Old 04-07-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Don't use wax, it does indeed make a right mess. Awl wash and Awlcare are the way to go. Awlcare is a protective sealant and seems to last quite well. Although the instructions tell you not to, I applied the Awlcare with a random orbit buffer but on very low speed. Heat is the enemy of Awlgrip.

Neither product is particularly expensive so why use anything else?
Old 04-07-2014

Thanks for the links. Alexseal is actually the next gen of Awlgrip. Same inventor that waited for his non-compete to expire. He even makes it in the original factory, as I recall. It is an LP paint, just like Awlgrip, but is buffable and repairable. I'm very familiar with the stratified structure of Awlgrip, but thanks anyway.

Alexseal actually recommends wax, although, I hadn't seen it in the links above. If I were to use a buffer, I specifically mentioned a random orbital on slow speed. Its the heat of a circular buffer that melts off the top layer. I've seen a real pro get away with it, but I would not try. I'm not opposed to doing this by hand. I was just being lazy after a long day of commissioning.

Awlcare is easy enough to apply, but lasts about a week or two and does zero cleaning. It never really has that waxed look either. It's just a sealer.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 04-07-2014

I had a brilliant idea. I just sent a note to Alexseal.

I like this product for the plane and it would be perfect for the topsides, if acceptable. It really cleans well and lasts a couple of months. Best of all, it can haze over in the direct sun and bake as long as you like, before wiping off. I hope its acceptable, now that I think of it.

https://www.arrowmagnolia.com/produc...ZE-56p1217.htm

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.