Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-11-2014

meteuz is on a distinguished road
Tri-Matrix ports, glass or acrylic?

I am planning to replace the original, non-opening portlights on my Montgomery 23 with Newfoundmetals Tri-Matrix portlights. I decided that all stainless is too heavy and unnecessary for this boat. I like the Tri-Matrix over other plastic ports because it can be adjusted both on the dog and hinge side, so it should be easier to keep it leak free.

My question is, is there a major advantage in tempered glass as opposed to acrylic. The thickness is 8mm (5/16 inch) for each. I am looking at the 7x15 inch size opening. My guess is that the acrylic is strong enough and lighter, while glass is more resistant to scratches and perhaps lasts longer. The difference in cost is only $30 per port.

Which one would you choose and why?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2014

JustinC25 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JustinC25
Re: Tri-Matrix ports, glass or acrylic?

I installed the Tri-Matrix ports on my boat and had the same question. After discussing it with NFM, if I recall, if you take the glass lens option, they give you the glass lens and you swap out the acrylic yourself. I could be wrong, it was a couple years ago, but I think that's the case. I do remember thinking, well I'll just start with the acrylic and then if they fade, then spend the money on glass since it was going to only be a $30 upgrade per lens in the future. BTW, I would recommend the stainless steel screen upgrade. They are some excellent ports, a huge improvement over other plastic ports, and the self sealing (no sealant used) is a huge plus. Good luck with the project.
meteuz likes this.
Old 04-12-2014

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: Tri-Matrix ports, glass or acrylic?

The thing to consider is what happens if the material fractures. The tempered glass will disappear in a shower of crystals. The acrylic will require a piece of duct tape to reseal. Unless the tempered is laminated, which 5/16" suggests. That's a serious game-changer. Then, the fractured "light" will remain more of less stuck to the PVB interlayer and the intact light will support it. If it's laminated, go with that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
glass , newfoundmetals , portlights , tri-matrix