Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-17-2014
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Low coolant level

I was at the boat recently prepping her for spring launch and noticed that the coolant in the overflow reservoir on our Universal M-25xpb is below the "low" line. I seem to recall it being properly between the "low" and "high" marks last fall. Have the crazy cold winter temps messed with the fluid or perhaps I have a leak somewhere? Any cause for concern?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2014

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Low coolant level

Have you taken a sample of oils and had it analyzed? If you can't find a leak external to the engine, there may be one internally. Coolant in the oil is how the internal leak will show up.

A block test would also help identify an internal leak.

The cold temps may have impacted the various seals/gaskets.
Old 04-17-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Both of the boats I have had have done this each year. I don't know why but it always seems to end up in the engine bilge pan. I think the coolant gets slushy and expands into the overflow and then back when it warms back up (meaning less cold) and by the end of the year you just have lost some.

And I know it wasn't going into the oil as I checked that for water with a test kit.
Old 04-17-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

The most likely cause of coolant loss is a slight leak somewhere. The best way to find those leaks is with a cooling system pressure tester, like this :

Amazon.com: Mityvac MV4560 Radiator/Cooling System and Pressure Test Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Mityvac MV4560 Radiator/Cooling System and Pressure Test Kit: Automotive

I just tested my Land Rover with one and found 3 leaks, right away. The advantage is that you can go, say, 5 PSI over the normal opening point of the pressure cap, making those leaks obvious.
Old 04-17-2014

transmitterdan is on a distinguished road

Check the heat exchanger. If it is full to the cap then probably the plastic tubing is not making a good seal at the filler neck. A small leak there will empty the overflow bottle in time. A pressure test will not find this leak.
Old 04-17-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Both of the boats I have had have done this each year. I don't know why but it always seems to end up in the engine bilge pan. I think the coolant gets slushy and expands into the overflow and then back when it warms back up (meaning less cold) and by the end of the year you just have lost some.

And I know it wasn't going into the oil as I checked that for water with a test kit.
Does this mean you are running a mixture with less than 50% glycol, with a freeze point of >-34F? Risking slush in an engine is dicy, because that stuff that floats is water and can freeze hard in head passages. I'd run ~ 55% EG in NH, if I was expecting -40F.

Just sayin'.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2014
just ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Does this mean you are running a mixture with less than 50% glycol, with a freeze point of >-34F? Risking slush in an engine is dicy, because that stuff that floats is water and can freeze hard in head passages. I'd run ~ 55% EG in NH, if I was expecting -40F.

Just sayin'.
I'm running the right antifreeze level.
Old 04-18-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I'm running the right antifreeze level.
What is "right?" How was it measured? Is it PG or EG (EG has a lower freeze point for the same concentration)? What is the lowest temperature reached?

If it slushed something is wrong. And even slushing cannot cause general expansion; that does not happen until the burst point.

Another possibility, far more likely, is that at extremely low temperatures the fittings contracted more than the hose clamps (different material) and the hoses got loose, allowing what truckers call a "cold leak." There have been many attempts at special bands to eliminate the problem in very cold climates, but generally it's considered a minor problem since the leaks are tiny. The leaks are gone in the spring and thus, hard to find.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 04-18-2014
just ducky

never said I knew it was slush just that it was possible theory, thanks for your concern

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.