Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-04-2006
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
eye splices --Help!

I received as a Christmas gift, 3 dacron (running rigging) lines which are meant to replace:

Main sail Halyard
Spinnaker Halyard
Topping lift

I thought the gift was a very nice gesture from my future inlaws (yes, I can't return them (sigh))

However, these lines have bitter ends. No eye splices. I'm not capable of splicing dacron so I've been searching for another way to handle this, other than tying a knot. What I've found so far is this:

http://www.ezty.com/rope.htm#clamps

I've never heard of them, and am desperate to try anything!!

Idea? Comments?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Here's another alternative: http://www.splicingnut.com/ Compare strengths of all the alternatives you find to make sure it's up to the stresses the line has to handle. The Splicing Nut is clunkier than the one you found but may be stronger.
Old 04-04-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Splicing double braid

The splice nut solution isn't very salty. In my opinion double braid eyes should only be spliced when used for halyards & topping lifts. Here's an instructional (page 7-81) to help guide you in making your own.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-o/cgaux/Pub...crew/chap7.pdf

If you don't want to learn, take the three lines to a local rigger, or even WM, they will do it for you for a modest fee.

Edit - 3MB, it's best to have a high speed connection

Last edited by TrueBlue; 04-04-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-04-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
True Blue,

Agreed that none of the devices (splicing nut, etc.) are very salty. Personally, if I didn't want to pay someone to splice the line for me I'd use something like a Garrick Bend. The loss in strength in today's synthetic lines wouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-04-2006
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
InoDesign Splicing Nut

True Blue,

I love the way these Splice Nut's look. If they work as well as they say they do, my problem is solved. I'm ordering some immediately

Thanks!!

Rick in Florida
Old 04-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Personally, I'd recommend learning to splice double-braid... it isn't all that difficult, as I've taught myself to do so in an evening...and it will come in handy in the future, especially if you do any longer distance cruising, and may be away from riggers to splice the lines for you. The splicing nuts are a crutch and if one breaks, or you lose the parts to one...you might find yourself in some trouble.

The plastic used in either of the "splice nut" solutions may breakdown under UV and leave you without a halyard... Having a proper splice in the halyard will generally be safer, as a good eyesplice weakens the line much less, and is less likely to leave your halyards inside the mast after the splice nut breaks.
Old 04-05-2006
Cruise-aholic

yachtvalhalla is on a distinguished road
Right on Sailingdog! Learning marlinspikemanship is part of the joys of boat ownership. Here's a good place to learn:

New England Ropes http://www.neropes.com/splice/default.htm

And for learning about knots look at Animated Knots by Grog at:

http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php

Have a go, matey!
Terry
Old 04-05-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
knots

We use knots -usually bowlines - to attach our snapshackles to our halyards. Then we sew the loose end to the standing part of the halyard so it won't come undone. Can't be seen at the top of the mast and is easy to undo when it's time to end-for-end it.
Old 04-05-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
I have to say I think that if it is not done right "spliced" it aint worth a bucket or bilge water. Go buy a fid the size of the rope and a rope guide and get it right. You will feel like you know much more after you learn. If you have arthritus in your hands or are missin some digits it may be better not to get into this.You can buy the items at Boaters world seperatly or at west as a compleat kit. Samson and New England make fids I like the open end tube type it makes it easy for "me".I go up the mast 56 feet on my splices but I use two hallards.Do you want to trust a thingie to hold you?
Old 04-07-2006

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Please, don't ever go aloft on a splice that you didn't do yourself and then only then if you feel real good about it and have cross-stitched or seized it. Never go aloft on a snap-shackle or even a screw-pin shackle unless it's locking or seized. The easiest and safest way to secure the chair to the halyard is to use a line of sufficient size and construction, in good condition with a bowline or other foolproof knot. (If there is a shackle on the end, secure it to the standing part of the line after tying the knot.)
learning to splice is indeed a rewarding endeavour. If you follow the instructions provided by the rope manufacturer carefully most anyone can achieve a serviceable splice. However, unless you plan on doing them on a regular basis you probably will have a real hard time remembering how it's done without having the instructions in front of you.