Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-18-2001

GreenEarth is on a distinguished road
Equipment + Charts-Paper & Digital

I''ve just purchased a 1934 38ft racing schooner. In 1996 she was outfitted extensively for cruising. She never went and I inherited loads of equipment I don''t need (too numerous to list here) plus lots of charts - both paper and digital. Is there a market for anything like that? And how do I find out what is worth something and what is outdated? Any help someone can give would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I''m a novice to all of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2001

kimberlite is on a distinguished road

what digital charts do you want to get rid of
also paper?
eric
Old 05-22-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road

Greenearth:

(Why do real live humans, who are seeking the assistance of other live humans, choose not to use at least their first name? Just seems so strange...)

Assuming the digital charts were purchased in the 1996 timeframe, they''re probably Maptech charts. But it would be helpful to be more specific about what you have. If they cover offshore waters (e.g., the Caribbean) they are probably still highly useable, as charts are infrequently revised by NIMA (formerly DMA) and many island nations & countries have few nav aids to begin with, and even the ones that do exist are often unreliable. Depths, bottom contours, lat/long coordinates etc. OTOH change little if at all. In short, offshore charts may be more marketable, depending on what areas they cover.

Paper charts of U.S. coastal waters purchased in 1996 are probably of less value, not only since they''re more dated and NOAA updates them more often, but also chart kits now are quite cost effective and they''d be the competing product any buyer would consider when looking at your collection.

But why get rid of any of them? Why not hold onto them until you''re certain of how you''ll use your schooner?

Jack Tyler
Aboard WHOOSH, lying Port of Spain, Trinidad
Old 05-27-2001

I could not use my actual name because it was "taken" by some one else - so I used my company name. It wasn''t meant to offend.

As regards the charts along with many other things - I have no intention of cruising - ever - and would like to sell all I can in order to finance some of her work. Thought it could help those that did cruise and save them money?

The electronic charts are by Navionics out of Woods Hole, MA. Most of the paper charts are of international waters - mostly south pacific, australia, etc.

Thanks for the info though. I appreciate it greatly. Paula
Old 05-27-2001

Sorry about the long delay. I have been ill and very busy at work.

I will have to go through and list all that I have and will let you know. The electronic charts are by Navionics.

Thank you. Paula
Old 05-27-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road

Paula, I think you''d find a welcome group of buyers in the Seven Seas Cruising Assoc. (ssca.org) which will publish charts available for sale in their monthly bulletin. If they tell you it''s for members only, ask them if it isn''t true that members are always looking for add''l sources of used charts and that preventing you from advertising wouldn''t be in their members interest. Tell them a member told you this!

Also, consider putting a note in Latitude 38. Since it''s a West Coast mag & you have Pacific charts, they''d be snapped up instantly. Don''t sell them cheap - a couple of bucks per chart seems reasonable to me, FWIW - and don''t sell them individually, but rather as a group or as sets for discrete geographic areas. You might find you can do all this (once you know the #s & locations) via their website (latitude38.com).

Good luck, and thanks for using your real name in the salutation.

Jack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.