Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Transom Lettering Height?

Those letters look nice. Be sure you are comfortable with how legible they are from a distance. I have seen much fancier letters that are hard to read. Also, beware of how the letters look from different heights on a curved transom. I found that mine looked a little smiley from above versus from below (like when I was putting them on in the yard).

Here is a shot I took and photoshopped some letters on to see what it would look like before I ordered the lettering.

Old 04-23-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Pretty boat. You care enough to ask, try to do a mock up on paper. Too many boat names on pretty boats are hideously out of scale.

I draw on CAD. It's pretty easy to get a rough shape of your stern to scale with pencil, too. Then try fonts and sizes. I like one font for the name, one font for the hail. It's often a good visual idea to follow the curve-line of the stern above the name. Hailing port can be straight or even follow the bottom of the stern.

Send what looks good to your vinyl cutter. They should be able to copy your scale and font and won't charge much or anything more for your creativity.

Usually, your haling port is smaller and I like a plain font for that. Some omit their home port. You can choose one nearby, you like better.

I just use my town harbor, ROCKPORT, and skip the Maine- Me. It just looks better to my eye.

I've never been mistaken for ROCKPORT, MA.,... the lesser.
Since it will take some days to order and receive, I will take your advice and take a picture of my transom and block out some different sizes and tape them on this weekend. Which means inflating my dinghy and paddling around the marina, which is always fun! Anyone know where I can find an outboard motor mount for a 70's era Avon?
Old 04-23-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Those letters look nice. Be sure you are comfortable with how legible they are from a distance. I have seen much fancier letters that are hard to read. Also, beware of how the letters look from different heights on a curved transom. I found that mine looked a little smiley from above versus from below (like when I was putting them on in the yard).

Here is a shot I took and photoshopped some letters on to see what it would look like before I ordered the lettering.

Great idea! Luckily, my boat has two names which I can separate around the back stay....
Old 04-23-2014

Hammer22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
Do you know where I can read this requirement online?
You can find the USCG requirements here: USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Fee Page
ericb760 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road

To OP: For home port use Los Angeles, using block letters the same as your CF numbers. Name of boat is anything you want that looks appropriate and is readable. Acetone removes painted lettering, but GoofOff dries more slowly and may be easier to work with.

Last edited by jgeissinger; 04-24-2014 at 12:47 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-24-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

If your vessel is state registered the port of hail is optional any size is good.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-24-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

While your in your dingy, motor around the marina and look at other samples to decide what you like. Personally, we like putting the boat name in sort of an arc that follows the curve of the transom, and making the port straight across in smaller lettering. Great idea overlaying lettering on a picture with photoshop or some other equivalent.
Old 04-24-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

A big decision will be the height of the letters. Taller will also mean a longer name. When I did this a few years ago, I played with different height letters to see which would fill out the transom nicely. Two long is an obvious problem. Too short just didn't look right. I liked the BoatUS site because it showed me what the name looked like in the font selected and gave me the overall length. I bought my lettering from them and was happy with the service.
ericb760 likes this.
Old 04-24-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
Since it will take some days to order and receive, I will take your advice and take a picture of my transom and block out some different sizes and tape them on this weekend. Which means inflating my dinghy and paddling around the marina, which is always fun! Anyone know where I can find an outboard motor mount for a 70's era Avon?
No need to order online and wait...just go to any of your local sign shops and they can do it for you often while you are standing there.

I've done both - online and local. Both work well but I do like supporting local businesses.
Old 04-24-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

If you have a few other sailing friends you can buy a vinyl cutter (I'm using a Silhouette Cameo) for a couple hundred dollars and split the cost. You can then make as many variations on logos as you want. It's also useful for registration numbers on the boat and dinghy.

I agree that blockish fonts that are easy to read should be used. I find it very difficult to read the scripted fonts from a distance.

I use 6" letters for the boat name and about 3" for the hailing port.

Expressions Vinyl sells outdoor-rated Oracal cut into 12" wide strips for the Silhouette Vinyl Cutters.