SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Standard SL-1 Digital Speed Log

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SailorMitch 
#1 ·
My father owns a 1984 O'day 28. I used to personally sail on board "Dakota", a Swan 46 and also the "Yankee Clipper" a 40' Sparkman & Stephens designed wooden yawl.

Anyways we have a Standard SL-1 digital speed log on the O'day and after some research I have found that not only do they no longer carry the part needed anywhere but that Standard no longer even makes a speed log or similar replcaement. The part needed is the transducer and cord to plug into the unit. It no longer sends the signal.

To make matters worse it is a circular bezel that holds the unit and most everyone makes a square one now so that is out of the question.

My questions are as follows:

Will any transducer work as long as it fits in the through-hull?

Would using a pre-owned Standard SL-40 series speed log work just fine since it has a circular face?

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all!

See less See more
#2 ·
I know that SH has quit the instrument business, but try calling or emailing their tech line support if you haven't already. Someone there can possibly answer your questions.

As for the new square instruments and the old round holes -- most manufacturers of the new square ones have designed them so that they will just cover the old round holes. I did just that 2 years ago when I replaced some old round instruments with -- you guessed it -- some new square SH ones. I really like the instruments, and too bad they got out of that market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.