SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Precision Sails or North Direct.....

53K views 67 replies 31 participants last post by  afraidofsharks 
#1 ·
Hi all ive read rather old threads on this subject but saw little on either sailmaker recently. If you have direct experience with either loft pro or con would appreciate info...no other lofts please just Precision or North Direct.
TIA

Chris

#2 ·
If North Direct options work for you then they are fine. Not the best sail for your boat, but pretty good at a very reasonable price. The question is how close to what your ideal sail are their offerings? And how much does every little bit of performance matter to you? Generally the sails are middle of the road quality, everything's is right but they tend to lack the polish you get from a custom sail... Like telltale windows positioned where you want them, curl marks on the spinnaker, ect.

I have and would buy North Direct for cruising sails, not for a racing boat.

#3 ·
Thanks Greg, re North that was my expectation. I'm a cruiser and though Id love to someday get a top notch set for the boat, I'm currently shopping for a modest set of decent sails. The current main is an older North sail very definitely stretched out. It takes quite a bit of attention to get any shape out of it but all things considered (age in particular) it has served me well for a couple of years while I upgraded the boat. Time will tell. My reason for asking about Precision was that they have been paying a great deal of attention to me on the phone (their dime) I dont respond much to hard sell and got abit suspicious there was nearly nothing out on the net about them. I'm a stickler for checking sources...anyway just collecting info...whenever my hot little hands reach into the pocket its time to slow down and ask what I know and what I dont....
:)

#4 ·
I bought a sail from Precision this winter and I would not again. While we were in the hard sell phase they said it would ship in three week, maybe four. It took ten weeks and at that they shipped it to my home address and not the 'ship to' address on the order (the other side of the country). As far as the attention you are getting now, all that will stop abruptly once they have your order, at least it did will me. No confirmation of information received, no response on traces I sent and because I'm still at the boat and the sail it still at home I don't know what the quality is like. If I sound like I'm still streamed, I am.

#6 ·
Thanks J Kyle....

That confirms the suspicion I was developing....sales method right out of the time share closer's manual. When they started adding features I hadn't asked for and claimed first hand inspection of each product by them on site (to verify quality etc) I began to shut down. All good stuff mind you but....anyway no slander necessary no is good enough. :D:eek::rolleyes:

Thanks again to all
Chris

#8 · (Edited)
Just a quick follow-up. I went with North Direct and had good service including special attention because of a modified boom. Pictures were exchanged issues discussed and then order confirmed. Despite my delay of the order deep into season North had my sails to me quickly and they fit great.... Would I use them again ? Definitely good value for the money....and I also know why I might go local for specific things.

#11 · (Edited)
I have bought sails from precision and I have met their owner in petson.i can say with confidence that they are the best at customer service and support. If you are confident in your ability to measure precision is a great way to go. Much better than my Rolly Taskar sail (which wasn't bad). No experience with North.

Medsailor

#14 ·
I too have ordered sails from Precision Sails and had a good experience.

My sails were for a Nimble Arctic, which is not a common boat. The measurement process is comprehensive, as it should be, since these are essentially custom sails. The customer support and design support was excellent. My sails shipped on time and no complaints on the quality. Follow-up requests were made to ask if I am happy with the sails, but as I had them delivered in January and put them up this month on a the boat following it's restoration this Spring/Summer I did not respond yet. I will provide positive feedback to Precision based on my experience.

If you're willing to do the measurements and discuss the details rather than relying on someone to do it for you or make sails from "standard" measurements on file, I would expect good results from Precision Sails and a good value.

#15 ·
HUMM, two first time posters post in a row pitching for a company that has had at least some customer service issues in the past??? Color me suspicious. Of course both said they ordered, not received. At least it is not Peak sails.

#16 ·
maitapaul,

Hmmmmmm.... someone who doesn't know me making statements about my credibility......
Yes, first time poster, but sailing for 50 years. Not internet sailing, but the kind which involves wind and water.

Also, as stated, I received my sails and have them on the boat this month. I like them, and the service I received from Precision Sails.

I'll stand by my opinion and experience with Precision Sails, regardless of opinions from those who obviously have no direct experience with them. Complaints about anything can be found on the internet. This site is no an exception.

#21 ·
maitapaul,

Hmmmmmm.... someone who doesn't know me making statements about my credibility......
Yes, first time poster, but sailing for 50 years. Not internet sailing, but the kind which involves wind and water.

Also, as stated, I received my sails and have them on the boat this month. I like them, and the service I received from Precision Sails.

I'll stand by my opinion and experience with Precision Sails, regardless of opinions from those who obviously have no direct experience with them. Complaints about anything can be found on the internet. This site is no an exception.
Yes complaints can be found, and even more so fake positive reviews. In fact there is an entire industry of people and computers who get paid to post positive reviews on forums and other on line sites. They get paid per post. So it is quite natural to doubt a first post when it is giving a positive review as there is no frame of reference to who the poster is, there experience, there use and what not. The post before you is one who's only post is a positive review of Precision Sails, and they had not even received them yet. So yes all posts are suspect.

This is why we have an introduction forum so you can introduce yourself, describe your experience and gain credibility.(http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/) This is a helpful forum, but we have had quite a bit of spam posting in the past so one has to take posts with a grain of salt. If you have 50 years of experience then you likely have a lot to contribute. Hope to see more and I am happy you are pleased with your sails.

#17 ·
do you have pics of your sail? I just went through this speaking with the main sales guy at precision, wnated a new cruising dacron for my merit 25...price was ok, not awesome...I will withhold my comments untill I see pics however...and sail shape on boats, if possible

for those who have used them tell us the measurements YOU made and how did you pay, I found their payment program laughable...what is the purpose of paying all 4 installments with nothing to see untill you do the last payment? then wait 4 weeks for delivery!!!!!

just asking...

christian

Reactions: oysterman23
#19 ·
very nice info...I agree on all your points...having said that I had an issue with the sales guy...he had no clue about the gear and sail dimensions and info HE needed...he called me 4 times...he was a NICE guy...I just balked when he couldnt describe what he wanted from me for the sail dimensions...Im not criticizing as he is not the designer and or computer doing the cuts however I was shocked that he couldnt sell me the sail correctly

Ill ignore the payment plan issue...that just might be to cover their backs

I had a really awesome quote and chat from rolly tasker which I do have experience with...they did a full batten main on my islander 36 for the previous owner and it is really well made...their prices are par on par with these budget lofts(preciosion, peak, lee, etc)

for those interested my quotes were as follows:

quantumm(very knowledgeable guy and racer) dacron cruising 135 genoa $1790
rolly tasker $1350
precision was almost the same(quote for merit 25 sail was around $700)
lee didnt get a quote back...had to call
pinneaple sails(sails back home in california) have risen in price too much for my liking

I still have precision in the running...its just that I dont have the need for a genoa anymore...I bought and old racing sail from a fellow merit 25 sailor

anyways

thanks so much for the detailed response

christian

This post has been deleted
#24 ·
yikes guys...thats outright stealing...I will not do business with precision...I will go with my gut instinct...in fact I have them on my spam list as they keep sending me stupid emails now about rebates and whatnot

this does not mean Im buying from hyde or others it means I will not do business with theives(intellectuall or other)

cheers

Reactions: CVAT
#29 ·
judy I liked your pricing on both the merit 25 genoa and islander 36 genoa...your prices are COMPETITIVE when comparing to my other favourite place sailwarehouse and national sails(rolly tasker)

someday Ill buy a new sail, someday...jajaja no need right this moment though

Im sorry if this thread got a bit off track having said that I feel the truth is always more important in the end and it helps new buyers take INFORMED decisions for the future...as is my case.

christian

Reactions: CVAT
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.