SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Google search on "Reinforced Hose" gone awry (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/137329-google-search-reinforced-hose-gone-awry.html)

Minnesail 04-29-2014 10:25 PM

Google search on "Reinforced Hose" gone awry

Seriously, keep safe search on if you're going to be doing research on reinforced hose. Ho's. Hoes. Anyway.

Anyway....... I would like to re-do my cockpit drain to thru-hull setup. Currently it just has aquarium-grade clear plastic tubing.

I've been told it's best to stick with clear because you can see where clogs are and also it's just cool to see where your waterline is, but you need to use reinforced hose.

I found this at Hamilton Marine (where I'm pricing out the the bronze fittings): PVC REINFORCED .75" WH W/BLUE TRACER

But they only sell it in 0.75" and I was hoping to go 1" and also they only sell it in a 50' roll and I need like 4' max.

West Marine sells this by the foot: Series 135 Heavy-Duty Water Hose

But it's not clear and so it loses the cool factor....

Is there a recommended hose for this purpose? Cockpit drain to below-the-waterline thru-hull?

Thanks!

christian.hess 04-29-2014 10:44 PM

Re: Google search on "Reinforced Hose" gone awry

what about those fiber reinforced clear hoses they sell at chandleries? seems like a nice compromise?

Gladrags1 04-30-2014 12:44 AM

I think the problem with clear or reinforced clear is that they get brittle as they age. You don't want a break in the scupper line! I would go with the Shields.

Tod

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 sailing out of Rock Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReefMagnet 04-30-2014 12:58 AM

My cockpit drains use that the same reinforced hosed used for wet exhausts. It's as old as the hills but it must be good stuff because whoever installed it many moons ago not only used a single hose clamp to attach it to the through hull but also missed the through hull nipple entirely and merely clamped the hose just above. Amazingly, the hose held fine in this condition. The cockpit drains connect to through hulls located inside the engine compartment so I'm guessing the theory of using wet exhaust hose is that it is better able to handle the elevated temps that occur there.

My galley sinks, on the other hand, use a thick nylon reinforced pvc hose that is see through, although you'd almost need to be a contortionist to use it to check for blockages and waterline!

Ferretchaser 04-30-2014 09:43 AM

Vetus clear hose is the one to use. It is reinforced with a stainless steel wire spiral and comes in all sorts of different sizes. Yup it has a blue tracer in it as well. If you can't find it online in just 4' shoot me a pm

ATB

Michael

MarkSF 04-30-2014 02:29 PM

I can see how it's useful to see blockages, but I'd rather use the toughest hose I can get. That's the reinforced Trident wet exhaust hose. Very tough stuff.