Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014

Conor John is on a distinguished road
Exterior Night Lighting Ideas

Hello, I am looking for cool ways to light the exterior/decking of my 36' Sailboat. It's a 1973 so there are just the nav lights as is. I am basically looking for mood lighting to use while night sailing/cruising, or turn on when I'm at dock. Please respond if you have any ideas of lights to use (for example hanging globe lights along boom) post the pictures of them or post if you have pictures of sailboats already lit. Looking to do this for just a couple hundred dollars max. Thanks for the help! Here is an idea of what I may be looking for (although it's clearly much more than a few hundred dollar solution):

http://umla.tumblr.com/post/63484096782

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/509962357777506542/

Last edited by Conor John; 04-29-2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: picture wasn't showing up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2014

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Exterior Night Lighting Ideas

Dunno 'bout "mood lites":" whilenunderway at unit? I plan on (eventually) having a CIG lkighter/lite combo w/a red LED for underway.
The best I've found for dock lites is solar patio units onthe stern pulpit verticals. and a pair w/out 'poles', just thefixtures, plugged into the winch handle sockets...fit great!

HTH,
Paul
Old 04-30-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Today's led rope lights might be what you are looking for. They come in many colors and there are waterproof strings. I always thought running them all the way around the deck, recessed under the cap rail, would be a nice touch.
Old 04-30-2014

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road

Amazon.com: LEDJump Waterproof 16.4Ft RGB SMD5050 Color Changing LED Taped Flexible Strip 44 Button remote Controller with 5A Power Supply Complete Set (cuttable and Linkable): Home Improvement Amazon.com: LEDJump Waterproof 16.4Ft RGB SMD5050 Color Changing LED Taped Flexible Strip 44 Button remote Controller with 5A Power Supply Complete Set (cuttable and Linkable): Home Improvement

is what I use. I just attached them under the Bimini with sail thread. They can be a little bright on some colors but the red dim setting is nice.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by SteveInMD; 04-30-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2014
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Today's led rope lights might be what you are looking for. They come in many colors and there are waterproof strings. I always thought running them all the way around the deck, recessed under the cap rail, would be a nice touch.
Exactly what I was thinking also.

12v LED Rope Lights | LED Strip Boat Lights for Sale | Boat Gunnel Led Lights - YachtLights.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Old 04-30-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Be careful not to wonder into stinkpotter territory. They love to disco their boats and you may draw them over like a moth to flame.

The classiest way I've seen a sailboat lit is from under the spreaders, with multiple small lights, especially if you have more than set of spreaders.

A bareboat I chartered once had a string of those led rope lights across a bow that held up the bimini. While it looked a bit cheesy, it was incredibly effective. The wire disappeared into the post and ran below to a breaker. It lit the entire cockpit. If I could figure how to make it look a bit more attractive, I would consider it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-30-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

I added LED lights next to every other stanchion that face downward. They light a path on the starboard side going up to the bow. Used when moored, and they use very little electricity. Very nie looking.

Just stay away from the blue LEDs. They are annoying to look at.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 04-30-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I added LED lights next to every other stanchion that face downward. They light a path on the starboard side going up to the bow. Used when moored, and they use very little electricity. Very nie looking.

Just stay away from the blue LEDs. They are annoying to look at.

Regards,
Brad
I bet that looks nice too. Only one side? How did you manage the deck penetration for the wiring?

I forgot to mention that, when in the cockpit at night, we often put a small flashlight in one of the cup holders that shine up to the bimini and the reflection seems to be exactly the right amount of light to eat.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a decent battery powered LED that would attach to a bow under our bimini. A set of batts should last a season (or more) with LED.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-30-2014

the_abuse is on a distinguished road

i got these for my spreaders work really good just drilled the spreaders and tapped them then screwed these in. i got mine in aluminum, not coated so it would match my spreaders

Eagle Eye LED 9W | eBay
Old 04-30-2014

the_abuse is on a distinguished road

if you order them from aliexpress.com you can get a bag of 20 for 20 thats what i did. my whole boat is led no incandescent lights at all

Tags
boat exterior , deck , lighting , night sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.