Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MedSailor
  • 1 Post By benesailor
  • 1 Post By night0wl
  • 1 Post By Frogwatch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Solar stills to make water - anyone using them?

DIY Solar Water Distillers Purify Contaminated Water | Off Grid World
These simple, low-tech homemade solar water distillers, done as an experiment by New Mexico State University, use the evaporation cycle to purify undesirable water. They are nothing more than boxes constructed from miscellaneous materials with a glass or plexiglass face, a trough to collect the water, and tubes to drain the clean water into a container.

Dirty water is placed into the distiller box and left in the sun. When the sun heats up the box, pure water evaporates and collects on the glass as condensation, leaving the contaminants behind. The water drips down off the glass into the trough, where it flows through the tube into a collection jar.

These distillers are effective, safe, and cheap, as they can be made from materials that are easy to obtain. They are able to purify contaminated water and salt water.

According to the NMSU studies done with these distillers, sea water with 30,000 parts per million of salt can be purified to 1 ppm. No matter how bad the water is that is placed into the distiller, the water collected in this manner comes out about 99.9% pure, making these simple distillers ideal for disaster situations.

A unit built similar to these at a size of about 6 ft x 4 ft would provide about four gallons of clean water per day – enough drinking and cooking water for a family of four.
Old 04-30-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Solar stills to make water - anyone using them?

I picked up 2, sealed US airforce survival solar stills. Each is about 3x5x3" and weighs about half a pound. They're for the abandon ship bag and hopefully will never be used.

The book "Sailing the farm" had lots of drawings and diagrams for DIY solar stills. They had rigid ones like in the above article and roll-up designs as well. The home made ones seem useful perhaps, but I'd be worried about water sloshing around in them and the salt water contaminating the fresh.

MedSailor
krisscross likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

They are great if you have plenty of sunlight and all day. I'm not sure that they would be that effective on a moving boat with a breeze. For a life raft i'd want something far more efective.

Try it in your backyard. It's not hard to make. You will be amazed how long it takes to make some water.
Then imagine on a moving boat.

Solar stills are for survival in austere land enviornments.
Quote:
A unit built similar to these at a size of about 6 ft x 4 ft would provide about four gallons of clean water per day – enough drinking and cooking water for a family of four.
In New Mexico; low humidity high heat enviornment.

Done it, it's barely enough water to get by.
krisscross likes this.
Old 04-30-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Too slow and too low a volume of water produced in all but the most dire of situations...likely survival situations.
krisscross likes this.
Old 04-30-2014

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I'd consider that estimation of solar still output of a 4X6' unit to be wildly optimistic and in general you might get about 1/3 that.

The average solar still loses a lot of efficiency because the water is condensing on the surface through which the light passes heating the water that has already condensed.
A better design would have a collector that then put the heat into a reservoir of water with an entirely separate condensor. Perhaps the condensor could be cooled by evaporation to improve efficiency.
krisscross likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.