Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014
Jnoiur Mebemr

StormBay is on a distinguished road
Re: Painted prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
I checked with the Interlux customer service folks last year about Interlux 2000 insulating aluminum from the copper in a typical bottom paint. Their response was that Interlux 2000 does not effectively prevent galvanic action in this case and advised me not to use copper bottom paint.
Correction, your right. Its Interlux Primocon that is recommended for underwater metals not the 2000. I got confused; its also a grey primer from Interlux.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014

fallard is on a distinguished road

Primocon is intended as a primer on underwater metals, particularly prior to the application of bottom paint (Interlux indicates Trilux products) to outdrives and bronze props.

For over 20 years, I've used Trilux antifouling for underwater metal, but now use SeaHawk "Smart Solution" for underwater aluminum. It has a non-metallic biocide and is far more durable than Trilux in my experience.

BTW, I have also used Interlux 2000 as a barrier coat for underwater steel and aluminum, going back about 15 years. According to Interlux, "Interprotect® 2000E can be used above and below the waterline as a universal primer for all surfaces and has proven itself to be an excellent primer for all metals." It works as advertised if you get down to a clean, shiny surface--preferably sandblasted and coated immediately on a dry day.
Old 05-05-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

The gray paint is most likely Pettit Barnacle Barrier or possibly Interlux Trilux 33 in gray. Both are used on underwater metal to reduce growth. I have used the Pettit here on Long Island Sound with limited success. Check with local sailors to see what works in your area. It is not recommend to put regular copper based bottom paint on bronze props as it can result in loss of zinc from the bronze alloy and damage the prop. A few members of my club put a couple coats of primer on the prop and then use one of the new non-copper bottom paints and report good results with that approach.

a
Old 05-05-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

I used the pettit zinc spray and it seemed to form a nice home for hard growth

I did better with some scrubbing pads every 3 weeks as I like to go out on a hot windless evening and use it for cleaning time anyway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-05-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

We had Prop Speed put on in Australia and it seemed to work pretty well, especially since we were in really warm waters in northern Oz and Indonesia. I had it done since people said it required a lot of skill. I watched and talked to the guys who did it. They said the problem that most people have with it is that they get the prop too perfect using quite fine sandpaper or bronze wool. They said don't go finer than 120 grit and it works great. Apparently you are not supposed to touch the prop after it is done since fingerprints give spots for growth to happen. No idea why it is so expensive.
Old 05-05-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Agree that it is most likely Pettit Zinc Coat. That's what I use and it does a good job. From everything I've read, PropSpeed is probably better but way more expensive and labor intensive to use.
Old 05-05-2014

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

I used the pettit prop spray last year and within a month had to scrap the barnacles off

This year I just painted it all with bottom paint (the new stuff) as all of my friends do and they have no problems.

Just my experience but that "prop coat" is plain "prop-crap"