Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
Painted prop

Hi All,

Traveler is on the hard while I install a new PSS, a couple of through hulls and get the bottom painted. Today we saw a boat next to us get it's prop and prop shaft painted grey. They taped the zince before paint. What kind of paint can be or should be applied to the prop and shaft? I just cleaned mine up, bronze prop, shiny SS shaft. I know it won't stay that way long. what do you recommend?

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career

Last edited by Dave_E; 05-04-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2014

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road
Re: Painted prop

Oh, here again?

If your prop really really is bronze (and not some brass) and you do not use any zinkanode ... then there is no need for painting the prop. The Cu in the bronze will act as a antifouling, (very) slowly realising Cu+ ions.
If a zink anode is attached (most do this as they are not 100 % certain that the prop is made of bronze), then Zink ions will be released instead of Cu, and there is no antifouling effect.
If the prop is made of brass, and no zink anode is used, then the Zink in the brass will be released, similar to the case above, and no antifouling effect and with time the zink in the brass will have decreased considerably and the brass is very much weakened (and good-bye Mr Prop).

Where I live we put the boats on the hard annually. Dutifully most boatowners paint their props with some special prop paint, extra expensive. Purpose of the paint is to get some antifouling effect as most boatowners are not completely sure that their props actually is made in bronze (rightfully so, looking at prop manufacturers homepages very few declares material used), so most add some zink anodes and then there is a need for something giving antifouling effect as a prop with barnacles is not a healthy prop.

/J
Old 05-04-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Thanks J,

I'm going to guess I have a good bronze prop. We hauled the boat last August for the survey prior to purchase. The prop was dirty, as was the shaft, but no barnacles or pitting of any kind. Hauled it and pressure washed it Friday, 8 months later, dirty again, but no pitting, corrosion or barnacles. The zincs are working, the boat isn't leaking and at the moment, my area of the marina is not hot. I'll put it back together and let good enough be. Thanks,

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 05-04-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

They put that grey paint on my prop in Trinidad in November. 6 months of cruising later, the prop has some weed but no barnacles. I don't remember what it was called (it was very reasonable) and I'm still not sold on it, but it may be helping. However, we rarely use our engine, so I'm not sure of the durability of that paint under normal engine use; I'm pretty sure we'll be back to a scraper and wire brush pretty soon, though.

Last edited by capta; 05-04-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2014
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road

Here in NZ everyone seems to use a gold-colored product called Propspeed. it's not antifouling but some super slick compound that keeps growth from adhering. i am skeptical but it seems like everyone that gets hauled out here (and pays the yard to do the labor...maybe there is something here) uses it. also, it must be applied by a licensed technician. just out of curiosity, i asked the guy applying it to the trawler next to me to give a quote for 1.5" prop shaft, maybe 3 feet, and prop. NZD$220--OUTRAGEOUS!! i'll just hop over the side every so often with a scraper and brush and take care of it for that price.

Edit: Wow, i just looked and WestMarine sells it...for an arm and a leg but it doesn't appear you have to have someone apply it for you in the US
http://www.westmarine.com/detco-mari...em--P008706814

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by obelisk; 05-04-2014 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2014

alturia is on a distinguished road

The grey paint is probably Pettit's Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier - see link for more info - Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier

This product does a pretty good job on preventing barnacle growth on underwater metals, including props. And it is inexpensive - $25 to $35 a can depending on where you buy it. One can is more than enough to do a prop on most sailboats.
Old 05-04-2014

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Several Manufacturers make it, Interlux's version is called Trilux. In my experience, it works. Even one or two barnacles on a prop will dramatically reduce efficiency and boat speed.
Old 05-04-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

+1 for Propspeed. When I was on the north shore of MA, I didn't need it. Here on the cape at my dock I've seen water temps as high as 80 degrees in August. Without a coating, I've spent 30 mins with a scrapers and dive gear to remove barnacles (I'm talking the whole prop was white, nothing exposed!). With Propspeed it stays clean. Downside, "wicked expensive"

I think it depends on where you keep the boat and what kinda stuff likes to attach itself in your neighborhood.
Old 05-04-2014
Jnoiur Mebemr

StormBay is on a distinguished road

The gray could be Interlux 2000. At our yard, they will often apply a barrier coat (to prevent contact between the bronze prop and copper in the antifouling) followed by 3 coats of regular non-ablative antifouling. According to what the yard workers say, it works much better than propspeed and you can expect to get 1-2 years out of it depending on use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2014

jvlassak is on a distinguished road

I used Pettit's Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier this year. Last year the prop wasn't painted and it came out positively horrid looking. With a clean prop, I easily made 6 knots when the boat was splashed yesterday; I was happy to make 5 knots at the end of the season last year.

Pacific Seacraft 34