Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-04-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Bottom painting dinghy

I have the equivalent of a mercury hypalon fiberglass bottom dinghy. It's already been painted black along the waterline. Bottom and partial tubes. I'd like to do a touch up and clean up today or tomorrow.

I've got magic erasers for cleaning any stains or discoloration from the inside fiberglass and the hypalon tubes. I used these last year on my bigger boat and they were awesome. I think I can get this dinghy looking pretty close to new.

I have a new small can of west marine bottomkote. Is this ok on the tubes? I don't know what kind of paint is already on the tubes, I know they make specific hypalon paint. I think ta is not because the tubes get damaged by the paint but because the inflating and deflating of the wrong kind of paint would cause it to crack(?).

But it would be nice and easy for me if I could use it on the tubes. Otherwise pretty easy right? I guess I need to sandpaper the existing paint? It's not in bad shape. Anything else I should do to beautify this thing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom painting dinghy

Petit makes a kit for applying paint to inflatables. It was a 2 part kit. The first part was a tacky substance and the second part was just paint. My assumption is that paint would have a hard time sticking to the rubber. No reason not to try what you have though. Anything will stick to the fiberglass bottom and if the paint doesn't stay on the tubes you'll know pretty quick.

The petit kit worked pretty well BTW.

MedSailor
northoceanbeach likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-04-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom painting dinghy

There is a special A/F paint for hypalon. I have always used it just in case the solvent in regular AF might attack the hypalon.

The one I use [ Seahawk ] can also be used on fibreglass but you need a primer first.