Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: iPad and harming global probs

I believe the human brain has a fairly limited capacity and when it is full, it begins to compress not only data but connections between data as well and this compression is "lossy". It prioritizes data to compress. Data that is often used doesn't get compressed much whereas rarely used data gets compressed a lot.
I am afraid that if I try to learn new "useless" stuff that is subject to arbitrary changes that I will lose the important but seldom used knowledge I have. Thus knowing in general how things work (physics) is very important but knowing the minute details of the latest gadget that will probably change within 6 months is not only not important but potentially harmful.
Consequently, I can rebuild a 1980s era electron microscope because I can ID the components, rebuild a diesel, design x-ray optics and do complex calculations by hand but find it maddening to have to learn the flavor of the day computer crap.
Applying this concept to navigation, I'd much rather know the math than be able to operate a computer to do it. I'd much rather remember the law of sines for spherical geometry than remember how to upload a NOAA chart file. This is why I love my paper charts and loathe computer navigation. AND, I actually built computer circuits in the mid-70s using the old 7400 series chips and did a lot of programming. That was useful whereas knowing how to operate an ipad is silly by comparison.
In other words, I'm a curmudgeon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If you can't/won't get your head around electronic navigation, it's a good thing you're not a pilot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-05-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
The cell coverage is not relevant to the GPS performance on iproducts

While I can get AIS with the cell coverage NOT sure about that Radar deal
If you have an iPhone/iPad, get the NOAA Hi Def radar or the Intellicast app, or both.

With cell coverage, they will each download live satellite radar coverage for free and show were you are in relation to the weather. I've used them to sail around weather systems and to be able to figure out if I will get to anchorage before those dark skies catch me. Intellicast has a ruler where you can measure from your location to the storm front. Very cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-05-2014

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I used to fly with a friend who had an Aerostar. We flew all over the USA and from Huntsville, AL to the west coast numerous times. I loved helping navigate (paper charts). Would it be any fun today?

OK, I went for a walk with the Garmin Glo and Ipad running Skipper. It seemed to work keeping track of where i was over two miles.
NOW, I just have to make sure it works most of the time and find out why it failed this morning.
Old 05-05-2014

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If you have an iPhone/iPad, get the NOAA Hi Def radar or the Intellicast app, or both.

With cell coverage, they will each download live satellite radar coverage for free and show were you are in relation to the weather. I've used them to sail around weather systems and to be able to figure out if I will get to anchorage before those dark skies catch me. Intellicast has a ruler where you can measure from your location to the storm front. Very cool.
Do you have the free or paid version of Intellicast app?
Old 05-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
I used to fly with a friend who had an Aerostar. We flew all over the USA and from Huntsville, AL to the west coast numerous times. I loved helping navigate (paper charts). Would it be any fun today?
With the advent of temporary flight restrictions, post 9/11, it probably would not be fun today. Anyway, when above the clouds, or inside them for that matter, you better be good with electronic nav.

I have a friend who owns an Aerostar now. Funny looking, but pretty capable for a piston twin prop. The cabin door is called the hamburger door, because it opens straight into the left engine propeller.

Quote:
OK, I went for a walk with the Garmin Glo and Ipad running Skipper. It seemed to work keeping track of where i was over two miles.
NOW, I just have to make sure it works most of the time and find out why it failed this morning.
You are the first I know that has ever mentioned the Skipper app. I had to look at it on the app store. Seems like a low cost competitor. You may be getting what you paid for.

Jeanneau 54DS