Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
iPad and harming global probs

I bought a Garmin GLO Bluetooth receiver. My new iPad 3 (wifi only) says the gar in is connected. However, how do I know it is getting right position info as there is no place where it gives position.
Where can I get the necessary software? I tried the NOAA charts but the iPad will not download them.
So far, the iPad seems to be a fairly useless toy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: iPad and harming global probs

Doesn't the garmin glo use the garmin app?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2014

alturia is on a distinguished road

You need an app to display the NOAA charts you download. And the same app should show your position so you can verify whether it is correct.

There are lots of places to find ipad navigation/charting apps. Searching on Google using the term "downloading noaa charts to ipad" returns lots of navigation/charting apps that will allow you to display NOAA charts. You can also search the Apple apps store.

It has been pretty well established that ipads are NOT useless toys when it comes to navigation. Just look at any number of blogs such as PANBO or I-Marine Apps and the many posts on various sites from people that are using ipads successfully. For a good summary of using ipads on a boat see http://i-marineapps.blogspot.com/201...avigation.html.

Last edited by alturia; 05-05-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
I bought a Garmin GLO Bluetooth receiver. My new iPad 3 (wifi only) says the gar in is connected. However, how do I know it is getting right position info as there is no place where it gives position.
Where can I get the necessary software? I tried the NOAA charts but the iPad will not download them.
So far, the iPad seems to be a fairly useless toy.
This one seems like pilot error, no tablet is useless.

Go to the App Store icon and press it. Type in either Marine Navigation or Latitude and Longitude in the search box.

With the latter you can get a simple free app that will display your current Lat/Long if you're just trying to confirm its accuracy against a known position. For actual marine navigation, there are several options, but you pay for them. For basic nav, I use Charts and Tides. Type that in the search box. About $25 for the entire East Coast. I like it because you also get Active Captain data displayed on the chart.

I've tried Garmin's BlueChart app, but did not like it. I needed it to sail in foreign waters, as C&T did not have those charts. Others have used iNavX and Navionics, both of which I think are more capable than C&T, but probably a bit more complex too.

Just wait until you find it's real time weather radar, NOAA buoy data, wind forecasting, tides, etc, etc. Not useless.
olson34 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-05-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

While I find my Iphone and Ipad fairly useless on the water (FOR ME ) they do place the boat on the charts correctly and have a very good GPS chip

I find the Ipad very good for planning routes which I transfer to my various units that I can read well in daylight and don't worry about getting wet

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-05-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
While I find my Iphone and Ipad fairly useless on the water.....
I would think you would have cell coverage just about everywhere on the water near you. A good radar app is incredibly useful.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-05-2014

The cell coverage is not relevant to the GPS performance on iproducts

While I can get AIS with the cell coverage NOT sure about that Radar deal

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

Old 05-05-2014

Finally downloaded the "Skipper" app after two tries. It shows nice charts and shows my home position. However, when I took it somewhere today, the maps would not follow along and I quickly found myself "off the map" (seems to be the story of my life).
I had assumed it had downloaded the maps so it does not have to be using the phone but only use the gps coords from the garmin glo.

At this point, even if I can get it to work, I would not consider it to be reliable enough to be a primary nav tool as I cannot be sure it is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

No way I'm giving up my paper charts and plotting tools.
Old 05-05-2014

The title of this thread was done on my ipad and it "spell corrected" it to be incomprehensible.
Thus, here is my rant on poor design of digital stuff.

Ever notice how the design of an old fashioned analog alarm clock or radio is intuitively obvious? You get visual and immediate audio feedback that you are accomplishing something and how to do so is mostly obvious. Digital stuff from watches to cell phones and GPS are seriously poorly designed from an obviousness perspective.
For example, the Garmin GLO. The only sign of dead batteries is that your position is wrong and a puzzling series of flashing lights on the thing. You'd have to carry the manual around to interpret the flashing light sequence to figure out the batteries are dying.
A typical Garmin handheld GPS requires a strange series of button pushes to accomplish anything. By the time I've figured out how to get the pre-inputted positions of something off it, I can just go measure it from the chart and be certain I am looking at the right thing. I am not bitching about just Garmin but the entire philosophy of how digital things are designed.
I used to have a digital watch but eventually threw it away because it was so complicated to make sure it was on the right time zone. I never could be certain I knew what time it was.
Don't get me started on so-called "smart phones". As far as I can see the only useful thing my wife's iphone does is find the nearest Starbucks on road trips.
Old 05-05-2014

Thank god you do not own POLAR RCX5 my running watch with GPS/STRIDE SENSOR/ECT/ECT because you clearly don't like to learn how to use new things

I love knowing the painful details of every second of those 43.5 miles and how i can go faster next year

I clearly like my paper charts

But i surly love my stuff also

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY