SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Outhaul repair/replacement (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/138346-outhaul-repair-replacement.html)

L124C 05-05-2014 01:33 PM

Outhaul repair/replacement

2 Attachment(s)
The nylon wheel in the first picture has worn out. Anyone know where I could find a replacement? I wouldn't be opposed to replacing the outhaul altogether.

Stumble 05-06-2014 12:22 AM

Re: Outhaul repair/replacement

That is one seriously old school system. For what it's worth I would go to an internal cascade system with a clew strap. But there are a number of places to get those sheaves. Zephyrwerks - The Sheave Factory custom makes them for about $30 a pop, or you can try to size match with either harken, Schaefer, or Lewmar. You may have a problem finding wire sheaves these days however since wire rope is becoming increasingly rare.

L124C 05-06-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumble (Post 1810242)
That is one seriously old school system. For what it's worth I would go to an internal cascade system with a clew strap. But there are a number of places to get those sheaves. Zephyrwerks - The Sheave Factory custom makes them for about $30 a pop, or you can try to size match with either harken, Schaefer, or Lewmar. You may have a problem finding wire sheaves these days however since wire rope is becoming increasingly rare.

The funny thing is, the "old school system" doesn't appear to be the first! As I started disassembling the outhaul I discovered a hole in the top of the boom and can see a internal sheave!
But then, I now recall this boom was originally one that Furled the main, so who knows what went on. The trick now is to remove the end cap to see whats going on, and possibly do an internal system. They used slotted stainless screws in aluminum that (of course) no longer want to come out.

The other option (if a internal system is impractical), is to restore the old school system. The wire rope was 3/32 or 2 CM diameter. I wonder if there is Spectra or some type synthetic that will do the same job if I can find replacement sheaves. If so, that may be the simplest way to go.

AlaskaMC 05-06-2014 04:58 PM

Try Grainger. They have wire, rope and other sheaves from Ronstan and other vendors. After trying to find them myself at sailing shops like WM with no luck, they had everything I needed for 5 bucks each. And they have tons of SS wire sheaves as well.

Stumble 05-06-2014 05:59 PM

Replacing the wire with dyneema is a pretty simple conversion, and absolutely worth doing.

CalebD 05-06-2014 08:18 PM

McMaster Carr has quite a number of sizes of delrin sheaves in stock sizes.
I used one when I replaced an internal boom sheave for our outhaul.
Second Amsteel line instead of wire rope.

L124C 05-07-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumble (Post 1812554)
Replacing the wire with dyneema is a pretty simple conversion, and absolutely worth doing.

BYW, contacted the sheave place you linked to. He says he can replace them at $30 a sheave, and that they will handle wire. However, I'd much rather go with Dyneema. Actually, I'd much rather replace the whole system if practicable. Trying to convince the end cap to come off today....

christian.hess 05-07-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L124C (Post 1807794)
The nylon wheel in the first picture has worn out. Anyone know where I could find a replacement? I wouldn't be opposed to replacing the outhaul altogether.

I have a very similar system on my boom, if you can get the wheel good for you, I find this outhaul works great...I also have a small winch up forward:)

L124C 05-07-2014 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drilled/Dremeled out the bolt heads on each side of the end cap. Anyone have any idea what the bolt head in the center of the cap might be for. Doesn't want to turn, and as far as I can tell from above, it doesn't seem to protrude into the boom, but I could be wrong.

Still need to hog out some bits of the side bolts that are hanging on, but I'd like to know what that rear bolt is doing (if anything). Again, at one time this was apparently a furling boom.

christian.hess 05-07-2014 11:03 PM

hmm its probably holding the cap in place...?