Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Re: Topping lift loads?

Thanks everyone! This is just what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. I will have 1/4'' line with a 2000lb breaking strength, harken block with a 400lb + working load at both ends and a jammer to match so I think all will be well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Captianforce - I LOVE the yo-yo. Post this idea on the 'Low Buck Projects' thread! Yo-yo's on a sailboat, that has panache.
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 05-07-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStream View Post
Alex, I assume you meant to say that your topping lift is left adjusted slightly longer than the leech, not your main sheet, correct? If not, could you clarify?
That is correct, sorry about the confusion.

I made my topping lift extremely light and it is carefully adjusted so that I don't have to touch it on the vast majority of my sails. It is light so that it blows out of the way of the leech when sailing. It is carefully adjusted to be just longer than the leech so that it is short enough to keep the boat's boom from touching the dodger when the sail is lowered, but long enough to avoid changing the sail shape.
Old 05-07-2014

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

On my former 25' boat, I only used the topping lift to briefly keep the boom from falling into the cockpit while raising and lowering the sail, and when reefing. Except for those brief moments, I had the pig tail hooked up. I unhooked the pig tail just prior to raising the sail and immediately after lowering it. My crew knew they couldn't lean on the boom during those few seconds, and steadied themselves elsewhere, such as at the mast or a grab rail. Because it was so briefly used, I used the lightest nylon line possible. I think it was 1/8 inch nylon. It was enough to do the job required of it, and, if I ever forgot to ease the topping lift after the sail was up, it stretched so easily that it wasn't a problem. If my boat didn't have a pig tail or boom crutch or similar device, then I'd want a light, but strong, non-stretching line.

I'm not an advocate of the "oversized line" theory. I generally prefer to use the size of line that is just right for the task, and no more. Oversized lines often don't run freely through the blocks, and they are often too thick or too heavy to work well. I'd rather have it work properly, and, if I wear it out, then replace it, and use the old line for lashing things or other uses.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-07-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

with the newer tech lines and stronger lines per size if you will Im a great fan pf going one size under...

the amount of friction lost and ease of sheeting in, hauling, pulling etc...is significantly reduced

for my boat for example its in the builders forums, that its recommended to downsize both to save some cost but for these reasons too

especially when going from wire rope halyards to all rope...

there is nothing worse in my mind than chubby lines stuffed in blocks...so clumsy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 05-08-2014

H and E is on a distinguished road

I weigh 230, the Admiral sent me over the side while securing the mainsail, hung on to the boom until I could get her to turn the boat back into the wind. Sure glad the topping lift held. ( I now have an electric tiller pilot)
jimgo likes this.
Old 05-08-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

H and E, thanks for that story. I think it may be time for me to buy some dyneema for my topping lift.
christian.hess likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-08-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Unless you have a boom crutch or a hard vang, you are going to put some tremendous loads on your topping lift, to keep the boom from swinging around, when NOT sailing. Your main sheet is a larger diameter line and on a multi-purchase block and tackle system which you are tightening against the lowly topping lift. Nuff said?
Old 05-08-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

it has worked for me quote well

in bigger boats you just tie up some preventers to each side

simple enough

my topping lift is one size smaller than my main sheet

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 05-08-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Unless you have a boom crutch or a hard vang, you are going to put some tremendous loads on your topping lift, to keep the boom from swinging around, when NOT sailing.
Or unless you tie off the main halyard to the end of the boom when the mainsail is put away. That keeps it away from the boom and supports the end of the boom.