Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Topping lift loads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Or unless you tie off the main halyard to the end of the boom when the mainsail is put away. That keeps it away from the boom and supports the end of the boom.
OK then Alex, I'll just drop my roller furling main every day and do that from now on. Now why didn't I think of that? Such a simple solution, too.
Old 05-08-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road

The following is a sceniaro where a strong topping lift might be a good idea.

Your sail is down, the mail halyard is at the mast and you are motoring and run aground.

You let three or four of your heaviest crew hang on the boom as you swing it outboard as you try to heel the boat enough for the keel to clear the mud to get free.

A 1,000 pounds maybe.

I always think of the topping lift as an emergency halyard anyway.
But in truth on most smaller boat most lines are sized for hand comfort rather than for strength.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
OK then Alex, I'll just drop my roller furling main every day and do that from now on. Now why didn't I think of that? Such a simple solution, too.
The OP has a MacGregor 25. It never occured to me that a boat that small would have a furling main (and I don't believe that it does). I'm offering him advice.

There are very different ways of rigging a small boat vs a larger one. The loads are extremely different too. A topping lift on a small boat does not need to be complex or extremely beefy. A bit of 2000lb breaking load 1/8" dyneema does the job better than just about anything else.
Tempest and christian.hess like this.
Old 05-09-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The OP has a MacGregor 25. It never occured to me that a boat that small would have a furling main (and I don't believe that it does). I'm offering him advice.

There are very different ways of rigging a small boat vs a larger one. The loads are extremely different too. A topping lift on a small boat does not need to be complex or extremely beefy. A bit of 2000lb breaking load 1/8" dyneema does the job better than just about anything else.
But the load on even a small boat topping lift is a lot more than some would expect. If dropping the main in a lousy sea, you'd want to tighten up the boom with the sheet to keep the boom from swinging around when you are on the cabin top furling the sail, right? That's a single line topping lift versus a multi-purchase main sheet (usually of a greater size, too), which was my point. Later the halyard may be moved to the boom end, but I for one am not going to do that until secure at anchor or in the slip, just in case.
Old 05-09-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

yeah thats why Im a fan of those pig tail thingies...I wouldnt change anything on said boat but if the op wants a topping lift thats cool too

like I said one size down or 2 for the topping lift compared to the MAIN sheet is a good conservative solution

or one size down from halyard...

or dyneema
or wire

or you can make one of those classic boom stands like on old boats

or add a boom kicker

or make a hard dodger and tie the boom to that

the list is endless!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
But the load on even a small boat topping lift is a lot more than some would expect. If dropping the main in a lousy sea, you'd want to tighten up the boom with the sheet to keep the boom from swinging around when you are on the cabin top furling the sail, right? That's a single line topping lift versus a multi-purchase main sheet (usually of a greater size, too), which was my point. Later the halyard may be moved to the boom end, but I for one am not going to do that until secure at anchor or in the slip, just in case.
The main sheet on such a boat has a 3:1 or 4:1 tackle and an average person who isn't struggling will be able to get about 200lbs of downward pressure on the boom (using the standard rule of thumb of pulling 50lbs on an average sailboat line).

The lightest setup mentioned in this thread was using a block that was rated to about 500lbs and line rated to 2000lbs. That is not too light for these conditions.