Shroud clips, oversized or undersized? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 05-07-2014 Thread Starter

Shroud clips, oversized or undersized?

I am using 5/32" wire rope for my stays and I was wondering since I can not find stainless 5/32" clips in the us would it be better to use 4/32" or 6/32" clips in their place for now.

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-07-2014

Re: Shroud clips, oversized or undersized?

Those are ok for emergency repair but not for normal rigging. Get your rigging swaged properly.
krisscross likes this.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #3 of 31 Old 05-07-2014
Master Mariner

If you are going to use those things to hold up your mast, then I would at the very least, use the correct size. Too small and you may damage the wire; too large and they won't be secure.
Of course, as mentioned above, there are better alternatives and since it's something one does not replace very often, it might be wise to consider them, instead of "jury rigging" your rigging.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 Old 05-07-2014
4ksb expert.

Spider, I'm with these folks above... those things are for temporary fixes only in emergency... again assuming you are talking shrouds/stays... They should be properly swaged, and sized for the boat.

Riggers earn their money for sure... sizing this stuff perfectly is a bear, but since it really only needs done every 5-10 years... best to do it right. The cost of doing it wrong is more than just the price of a mast. While a suppose dismasting is a real possibility no matter what you do, I'd always feel better giving it my best effort to avoid it, and nearly all costs.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #5 of 31 Old 05-07-2014
merit 25 solo "er"

or get some mechanical fittings...and diy(but the right way)

jajaja

Islander 36 no longer for sale...its MINE!

Planning maiden cruise for November-December 2015 to Panama Canal! The planning begins!!!
post #6 of 31 Old 05-07-2014

Spider, you say wire rope. 7 by 19? or? If 1 by 7 or 7 by 19 splicing if easy to learn.It's the modern stylish stuff that needs fancy fittings.
post #7 of 31 Old 05-07-2014 Thread Starter

I was going to use it after a swage just to be double sure it did not slip, I dont trust swages 100%, when I took the old ones off the wire had slipped a bit and those were copper.

Also 1x19, that is what the internet said was best for shrouds because of its resistance to stretch and high breaking tolerance.

I should probobly mention this is for a 15 foot dinghy so I am not going to call a rigger for that.
post #8 of 31 Old 05-07-2014
merit 25 solo "er"

what do you mean AFTER a swage? there is no way you can backup a swage per sey unless you solder the damn wire to the swage itself or melt molten lead and make one...

since its a dinghy your fine

I think I mentioned that nicopress for small dinghies and light loads is a far better methods than these "clips"

like others have mentioned though they are great for emergencies, clipping lose ends together, making a quick fixed stay etc...

Planning maiden cruise for November-December 2015 to Panama Canal! The planning begins!!!
post #9 of 31 Old 05-07-2014 Thread Starter

Like put one of these on

Then one of those clips, figured it would be like a insurance policy.
post #10 of 31 Old 05-07-2014
merit 25 solo "er"

yeah they are made from either aluminum or copper/bronze depending on use

I quite like them in fact I have original halyards and stuff on my islander 36 that has them and they are still fine

also notice a lot of dinghies use the more pliable 7x19 wire that is more flexible and will last longer since 1x19 stainless does not like to be bent in hard angles

so if you drop and raise your mast a lot and happen to not be careful you can damage a forestay or something

just a thought

cheers

you can also double up the nicopress fitting too if you want although well done you are fine with one...

good luck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.