Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Aries Wind Vane

I currently have a Monitor wind vane. It works well but is starting to need some major maintenance due to high miles.

I was thinking of replacing it with an Aeries vane. My understanding is the new Aries are made in Denmark. Are these just like the Aeries #3 that was made in England. Are the parts interchangable?

If you know the Aeries, what is your opinion of their quality and function as compared to others on the market.

What about buying a used Aeries- is that a good option? I understand replacement parts are still available from England.
Regards
christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Aries Wind Vane

I've not used either, I want to mount one on our current boat, but we haven't gotten around to it yet.

I will note (my only useful contribution to the subject) that we looked at putting one on our last boat and I was able to find an Aries pretty cheap ($650) and in good shape, but the thing was absurdly heavy, like 75lbs IIRC. The Monitor was next in weight at ~50lbs, Norvane was 37lbs, South Atlantic 37lbs, and Windpilot 44lbs.

At the time, we had a 27ft boat and were concerned what hanging 75lbs off the back would do. We more or less resolved to get a Norvane before we sold the boat and will probably go that route with our new boat. Even with a slightly larger boat, I'm concerned about that much weight off the stern.

Last edited by Shinook; 05-08-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

bomb proof Ive had one and cruised on another one with the tiltup version

we actually got hit in the stern with a big aluminum boat that anchored to close to us at dusk...in galapagos and 2 days into the crossing to hiva oa we notice the drum was broken!

the one with the teeth

however my captain had power tools and rivets and all sorts of parts and we managed to tie it back together and it worked

during that crossing beleive it or not we were in constant contact with a lady from aries(in england) I beleive via sailmail) that got them the new part somewehere in the south pacific...after I left

its a very very good windvane

does need a bit of help every now and then in rolly seas but overall a great performer

we did however maintain it a lot by that I mean preventatite maintenance we OILED the hell out of the pendulum and gears, and always greased and protected all rviets and stainless parts that touched

the aluminum itself is hardened and very long lasting but as usual with dissimilar metals you will always get some corrosion if you dont peridiodically oil and grease and maintain

my last boat had the standard version mid 80s design...fixed mount

Im not familiar with the new models but dont think they have changed all that much

cheers
MikeOReilly and casey1999 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Last edited by christian.hess; 05-08-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I have an Aries (not sure which one, has the flip up rudder). It came with our boat and I had to do some repairs to get it operational, but it's been great. Steers better than me most of the time. Lights airs and rolling seas are a challenge for all servo-pendulum vanes, but our will maintain a course down to 5 knots if seas are not a problem.

What Christian says about oiling and greasing, but is one solid pieces equipment.

I don't think the Denmark parts are interchangeable with the original ones made in England. The daughter of the original maker still maintains a parts service for the old ones. I was able to get a package of parts from her a year or two ago. She's great, but you do have to be patient sometimes.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 05-08-2014

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

What kind of oil and grease do you use on your aries?
Thanks for the inputs.
Old 05-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I have an Aries (not sure which one, has the flip up rudder). It came with our boat and I had to do some repairs to get it operational, but it's been great. Steers better than me most of the time. Lights airs and rolling seas are a challenge for all servo-pendulum vanes, but our will maintain a course down to 5 knots if seas are not a problem.

What Christian says about oiling and greasing, but is one solid pieces equipment.

I don't think the Denmark parts are interchangeable with the original ones made in England. The daughter of the original maker still maintains a parts service for the old ones. I was able to get a package of parts from her a year or two ago. She's great, but you do have to be patient sometimes.

thats who we were in touch with!

Old 05-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
What kind of oil and grease do you use on your aries?
Thanks for the inputs.

we used 2 stroke oil, castor oil, motor oil whatever oil...doesnt really matter

the grease was some sort of lithium grease

tef gel or something like you use on mast tracks and stainless hardware is another obvious option

forget the names sorry

Old 05-08-2014

2 stroke oil btw has many uses on a boat and engines in general

its great to lube the top ends(minimal amount) on older gas engines like the atomic 4, it leaves a residue and has lubricants that standard oils dont

aircooled engines for example

since it leaves residue it lasts longer I have noticed and I forget what it helps with in diesel but helps fight something

sorry cant remember

back to aries!

Old 05-08-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

We use the engine oil, b/c that's what's on hand. I think the grease is a lithium type. It's an industrial type of grease. We were given a big tube a few years ago, and it's still going strong. I'll have to go look at it the next time I'm on the boat (still winter up here).

christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-08-2014

you have learned all the tips mike! cool!

I love the aries windvane

The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (05-08-2014)