Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014

wristwister is on a distinguished road
Patching a PVC inflatable, what works for you?

I've had bad luck with the PVC patch kits they sell at boat stores. I'm just wondering what works best for you all. What glue, what solvent, and what patch material? Where do you get the patch material? AquaSeal has been recommended to me, any of you have good success using the stuff on inflatables?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Patching a PVC inflatable, what works for you?

I use NRS Stabond. Works amazing for my POS West Marine dinghy. I use the PVC repair fabric from them too.
Old 05-09-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I've had very good results from super glue if it's a small hole. We had to reattach our lifting ring last year and used a good quality 2 part epoxy glue and it's holding well, and the dink is on the davits every single night.
I have never had any success with contact adhesives, period.
But the real trick is in the preparation. It must be clean, sanded and roughed up so that the glue has something to bind to. I think even the oils in your fingers could interfere with the adhesion of the glue, so very, very clean, may not be an understatement.
Old 05-09-2014

safira is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwister View Post
I've had bad luck with the PVC patch kits they sell at boat stores. I'm just wondering what works best for you all. What glue, what solvent, and what patch material? Where do you get the patch material? AquaSeal has been recommended to me, any of you have good success using the stuff on inflatables?

Thanks
Patching a dink can be a big pain in the posterior area, after some reseach online I came up with this to work with.
My problem was that the complete floor let loose on the dinghy, so I went online and looked around to see what was available and how to do the repair.
The dinghy is PVC that I have, I used a glue which is 1 part called HH-66 (you can find it online), simple to use also.
clean the area with acetone and a scrubbie, the tape off the area, apply 2 to 3 coats of glue letting each dry to tacky, make sure to do both sides, then press together.
The HH-66 glue is cheap and it works wonders if you clean and prep the area first. I personally will use it before I use a 2 part glue.
have great luck on your repair!!!!
Old 06-11-2014

wristwister is on a distinguished road

Figured I'd cap this thread off with what I finally did to fix my dink.

I cut a patch from a bicycle inner tube, cleaned everything thoroughly with acetone, then liberally applied Aquaseal to the patch and pressed it on. Amazing stuff that Aquaseal! Holding air great and that patch looks to be bulletproof. I now keep the aquaseal, acetone and the rest of the inner tube on the boat for future repairs.
Old 06-12-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Nobody has mentioned roughing the area to be bonded (contact area). Take a bit of 80 grit sandpaper, and roughen both the patch area and the patch, then clean etc. Be careful about prep and follow the directions (wait for the glue to get tacky etc).
Old 06-12-2014

IStream is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
Nobody has mentioned roughing the area to be bonded (contact area). Take a bit of 80 grit sandpaper, and roughen both the patch area and the patch, then clean etc. Be careful about prep and follow the directions (wait for the glue to get tacky etc).
If you do this, make sure to clean the surface both before and after. If the surface is contaminated before you sand, you'll just embed the contamination in the material by sanding.
Old 06-13-2014
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I just use 3M 5200, no patch unless it's a long tear. Clean, rough it up, and apply a liberal coat of 5200. Only downside is that you have to wait about 24 hours before inflating. By the way, this is the ONLY thing I use 5200 for on the boat. Works on PVC and Hypalon.
salttrip likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-13-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Aquaseal is good stuff, as is Goop (both similar urethane glues) but any PVC patch kit should make a good strong fusion weld. Even the cheap kits that are sold for PVC pool repairs, all same stuff.

I'll throw in with the choir and question the surface prep, because any contamination could be a problem. Best to clean the area with isopropyl alcohol and paper towels, work your way out and treat it like you were doing surgery on yourself--you want it sterile and clean. Then rough it up, abrade with CLEAN fresh sandpaper, and not the cheap stuff that leaves grit behind. Something good like 3M Tri-M-Ite. Follow by cleaning again, to remove any dust or debris.

Then apply the solvent and patch (which is also fresh and clean one hopes) and clamp or weight until it has cured. It should be fused into the PVC and it will stay that way. If it isn't, maybe the inflatable isn't really PVC, or maybe it has another problem, like contamination causing it to fail.
Old 07-19-2014

salttrip is on a distinguished road

West Marine 310RIB, have a leak i can not find, no bubbles, have no idea where the air is going??? I patch the leak but now you can hear it inside as it leaks down. No sign as to where the air is going.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.