Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By This Old Sailboat
  • 1 Post By This Old Sailboat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2014
aka $tingy Sailor

This Old Sailboat is on a distinguished road
Talking DIY Cabin Cushion Covers

I'm very happy to announce today that my cabin cushion project is finished. They turned out great! I used 8 yards of 46" Sunbrella True Blue furniture fabric and 7 yards of beige woven vinyl underlining plus the various sundry supplies: zippers, Seam Stick, thread, piping cord, etc. from Sailrite.com

I cleaned and reused the foam except for making a larger table top cushion and a special 11th cushion for the companionway step. The extra cushion completes the wall-to-wall setup of the salon into a bed.

I used a home sewing machine with a welting foot and a universal walking foot attachment. With the thread tension turned all the way up, I was able to sew through the maximum of three layers of fabric.

The finishing touches include: custom embroidery, polyester batting, and spraying with fabric guard/waterproofing.

Total cost was $375. You can see many more pictures and read the details on my blog. It wasn't an easy project or quick, but definitely worth the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY Cabin Cushion Covers

Very nice, what was the cloth weight? What make and model sewing machine do you have? can you post a few more pics?

I am interested in trying to do this too, thats why all the questions...

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-10-2014

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

The embroidery is a very nice detail. Congratulations on a job well done.
Old 05-11-2014
aka $tingy Sailor

Socal C25,
The weight of Sunbrella furniture fabric is about the same as their marine canvas but it has a softer hand to it. It's not as stiff and easier to bend around tight corners and such on the cushions I ordered several samples from Sailrite in different hues, which really helped to decide on the color and fabric. But I do use Sunbrella marine canvas on all my exterior canvas work.

I sewed it on my wife's late 70's New Home sewing machine. It's pretty basic and this project pushed it's abilities at times. Keeping a sharp needle at all times and oiling more often seemed to help. I used large gauge needles and V92 thread together with the presser feet that I show on my blog.

Captainmeme,
I didn't do the embroidery myself but it was surprisingly affordable from a local screen print/embroidery shop, $14 for both cushions. I'm going to have them sew a larger logo on the bimini boot I'm going to make.

Here's a few more pics but for any more, you'll have to visit my blog Lots more info there too.

christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-13-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Very nice job. I can't imagine a professional shop would have done it better.
Old 05-13-2014
aka $tingy Sailor

If anybody is interested in having embroidery or screen print work done with the Catalina logo, send me a personal message and I'll send you a copy in a couple different formats, including vectors. I'm curious if anyone has made replacement emblems for their boat. Mine are really faded and falling apart.

I made the logo by pencil rubbing the actual badge, scanned it at high resolution, traced it with a vector graphics app, and then optimized the curves. The result is that it's scalable to any size without a loss of resolution like raster images.

That said, I'm not sure how Catalina Yachts' would feel about this so use it at your own risk. I would hope they would appreciate us promoting their brand, particularly since they don't offer vintage styled merchandise. I wouldn't do it with their current logo. That would definitely be a rip-off. But nobody can tell me that Frank Butler didn't co-op the Pontiac Catalina logo with minor changes

Old 05-13-2014

PNWvagabond is on a distinguished road

Those cushion covers looks awesome! You should come help fix mine in the PNW. is that welting foot what you used for that piping look around the edges? I never knew how to do that. You should definitely be excited everytime you see them.
Old 05-13-2014
aka $tingy Sailor

Yeah, that foot makes it almost fool-proof, a good thing for me! That and the basting tape.

Tell you what, we want to come over there to the San Juans sailing someday. If you're still around here, I'll give you a shout then and maybe we can get together and swap tips.

Tags
cabin , cushions , sewing , sunbrella , upholstery

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.