Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-28-2001

duke is on a distinguished road
Pearson10M chainplates

Have a Pearson 10M (1974). Just above the chainplates where shrouds are, the Deck is bulging up and there are stress fracture there. How do I fix this and is this a problem encountered with other similar pearson boat owners? Someone told me to cut out about 2ft. of deck to each side of area and replace . Do I need to do this?
Thanks
Duke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
Pearson10M chainplates

Duke:

This may be a very good reason to begin checking references of marine surveyors in the area. Before doing that, consider visiting the NPOYA web site (sorry, the URL isn''t nearby but a search will turn them up) as they have a forum where Pearson owners can pose questions like yours.

Jack
Old 06-01-2001

clayton is on a distinguished road
Pearson10M chainplates

I too own a 74 10M.
You may have a delamination problem in the deck core due to water leaking around the deck fittings. Does the swelling feel "squishy" when you step on it ? The connections of the chainplates to hull are so massive I can''t believe they are the problem. If the core is water logged you might try drilling a series of little holes to let it dry out ( use a heat gun to acclerate) and then forcing epoxy into the core. Also, remove and rebed all deck fittings in the area looking for signs of wet wood. I''d try that before cutting open the deck and removing the plywood filler, although that is the preferred, albeit expensive method.
Old 06-02-2001

duke is on a distinguished road
Pearson10M chainplates

Bruce
Thank You so much for the helpful information since this is my new boat Iam new to it.
It is the same year as yours a Pearson10M 1974. Iam located in Baltimore are you close by? It would be nice to see each others boat
Regards
Gary
gdphil@yahoo.com
PS Have you taken yours off shore for cruising? That is my intentions
Old 08-30-2006

travrn is on a distinguished road
About your chainplates

I too own a 10M Hull #22. Be sure to see Dan Pfeiffer's site regarding 10Ms. http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/10m.htm There is great info on how to check & repair your chainplates and attachments.

Dan Watson
Old 08-30-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Yep, travrn hit the nail with his head. THE authority on all things Pearson 10M is the illustrious Dan Pfeiffer. Heck, same goes for the P-26. At any rate, check out www.pearsoninfo.net for Dan's handiwork.
Old 08-31-2006

SteppingonKittens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch
Yep, travrn hit the nail with his head. THE authority on all things Pearson 10M is the illustrious Dan Pfeiffer. Heck, same goes for the P-26. At any rate, check out www.pearsoninfo.net for Dan's handiwork.

The authority on things Pearson. Has helped us keep our 10M in shape.

Hugs,

SoK
Old 08-31-2006

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Duke, I do not own a Pearson but I just did a similar repair on my S2 9.1. The starboard main bulkhead was rotted and had to be replaced and the deck around the plates was wet. The web site referred to here is excellent and I would suggest doing a through repair similar to what is shown there.

If you do all of the prep work, such as grinding and cutting yourself and then have a pro do the glass work it may not cost that much. Grinding glass is not a lot of fun, get your self a full face respirator.

As for the deck you should be able to cut the bottom laminate out and remove the wet and rotted balsa and replace from below. Actualy simpler than it sounds. The first time it really blows you want to know this repair is rock solid.

Have Fun
Gary
Old 09-08-2006

eggemoggineer is on a distinguished road
Ya. I have a 1974 10M that we just completely stripped and refitted. Someday I'll post photos at www.renegade-cruisers.org Mine never got the chainplate knee retrofit with aluminum boxes to the bulkheads. I toughened up the area with west system and biaxial glass, but it is a weak point, hence the recall of 10M's years ago. Apparently at least one 10M lost its rig due to failure of the chainplate knee.
Old 09-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd check the NPYOA site. It is probably the best resource on the web for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.