Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014

fmueller is on a distinguished road
Raw Water pump leak

After replacing my raw water pump impeller before launch this spring I noticed we have a slow drip from the pump when it is running. I thought it was the pump cover gasket but have now discovered that it is leaking through the shafts water seal and out the air gap.

I saw compass marines excellent write up about rebuilding a pump, and ours is identical to his. It doesnt seem like too bad a project, but I would strongly prefer to wait til next winter to do it (our sailing season is short enough as it is and I want to spend it sailing not working on a pump). Is that foolish? Will the leak do any additional damage? Is it likely to get worse?

We really only use the motor to get in and out of the slip and so maybe 40 hours a year, and we leave the raw water intake closed whenever not motoring. The leak is more than a drip, but less than a torrent...maybe a quarter cup a minute or less.

The motor is a westerbeke 20Btwo.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Raw Water pump leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmueller View Post
After replacing my raw water pump impeller before launch this spring I noticed we have a slow drip from the pump when it is running. I thought it was the pump cover gasket but have now discovered that it is leaking through the shafts water seal and out the air gap.

I saw compass marines excellent write up about rebuilding a pump, and ours is identical to his. It doesnt seem like too bad a project, but I would strongly prefer to wait til next winter to do it (our sailing season is short enough as it is and I want to spend it sailing not working on a pump). Is that foolish? Will the leak do any additional damage? Is it likely to get worse?

We really only use the motor to get in and out of the slip and so maybe 40 hours a year, and we leave the raw water intake closed whenever not motoring. The leak is more than a drip, but less than a torrent...maybe a quarter cup a minute or less.

The motor is a westerbeke 20Btwo.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Behind the impeller is a bearing plate under which is a lip seal that the impeller shaft passes through. The lip seal is intended to prevent raw water escaping from the impeller housing, where it is pressurized by the deflection of the impeller vanes over the cam lobe, and reaching the shaft bearings and, if the oil seal in the engine is weakened, potentially the interior of the engine itself. The weep hole in the pump is there to warn you when/if the impeller lip seal is leaking and prevent water collecting in the shaft gallery. Ignore the leak at your own peril. The inconvenience of replacing a lip seal is nothing compared to the inconvenience of replacing the pump itself and, potentially having to repair the damage that may be done to your engine. Your call...
L124C likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-13-2014

fmueller is on a distinguished road

Can I replace the lip seal without removing the pump from the engine or does this require a complete pump rebuild(bearings and oil seal too)?

Old 05-13-2014

desert rat is on a distinguished road

He wants a shade tree, bubble gum and bailing wire fix good for one season.
'IF' the lip seal is the only thing worn out maybe but if not oh ****. I only know land vehicles and a water pump is a water pump but everything wears out I wouldn't take the chance.
Old 05-13-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmueller View Post
Can I replace the lip seal without removing the pump from the engine or does this require a complete pump rebuild(bearings and oil seal too)?

It depends upon how readily you can reach the inner bearing plate and existing lip seal and how dexterous you are. I have been able to do it in a few cases but failed in others. Even if you must remove the entire pump, however, it isn't that difficult, just a bit tedious but not bad, really. Just a pain in the neck.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 05-13-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 05-13-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Sorry but once you get any drip, you shouldn't be using that pump - for two reasons - one, you could get salt water in the engine. Two, the salt water is destroying the internals of the pump and making it more and more likely that you can't rebuild it.

The quick fix is to buy a new pump, and then rebuild the one you have for a spare. Having a spare means your cruising plans can't get ruined by a leaking pump. I went to the lengths of installing an extra set of bronze hose adapters in my spare pump, for a quick emergency swap out if it is ever necessary. Swapping the pump is quicker than changing the impeller, or messing about with seals.

Any idea what make and model of pump you have?

I just replaced my Sherwood, which has a very short life due to poor design, with an Oberdorfer.

Last edited by MarkSF; 05-13-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-13-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

A quarter cup a minute is a pretty bad leak. It needs to be attended to. I wouldn't try to wait until the winter to fix it. MarkSFs suggestion of getting new pump and then rebuilding the old one as a spare is good one. You may not like the cost of a new pump however - I would guess over $500 if you get from a Westerbeke dealer.
Old 05-13-2014

jkimberly is on a distinguished road

Just a quick thought . . . Setting aside any leakage INTO the engine, you have to contend with that salt water affecting associated engine parts outside the engine. I went through pretty much the same problem only with a 1gm10 yanmar. Directly under the dripping pump are two oil lines, the cost of replacing these two lines was equal to or better than the cost of a new yanmar water pump.

Initially I went the rebuild route, twice, but apparently the pump was too far gone as it started leaking again half way through the season both times.

John
Old 05-14-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I've been down this road, and you can read ALL about it here; rebuilding Oberdorfer Pump. The cliff notes version is that it is far more cost and time effective to buy a new pump at Depco Pumps in Clearwater, FL.

By waiting you risk spraying seawater over your engine casing, oil pan, and motor mounts. This will lead to corrosion. You also risk possibly contaminating your engine oil with seawater, which will lead to other problems...

The free advice that I offer is to spend the $300, and buy a new pump, NOW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 05-14-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Its around $200 for a new pump...you'll spend much more time than that fixing this part...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.