Best Cell Phone/Data Coverage East Coast, AT&T or Verizon?? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-16-2014

doug1957 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Cell Phone/Data Coverage East Coast, AT&T or Verizon??

We have both a Verizon and AT&T when cruising Maine. AT&T is mostly useless once out of Casco Bay, and Verizon can be a bit spotty here and there approaching down East, but overall is better than the AT&T reception.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2014

Location: See my blog SailingAquinnah.blogspot.com. Maine to the warm Islands down South
JohnZion is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone for the great feedback, it's much appreciated. I will add my two cents, t mobile data coverage is terrible.
Old 05-16-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Although Verizon is still CDMA, most Verizon LTE phones now support the use of SIM cards and come factory SIM unlocked so they are usable on GSM networks. AT&T and T-Mobile phones are GSM but generally don't come SIM unlocked unless you pay for the phone in full. Even then, there is often a waiting period to unlock.
I've had three phones unlocked by AT&T at no charge. I explained my needs and they gave me unlock codes. One quite old phone required support from the manufacturer. My two iPhones (a 3G now drowned and a 4) they did right away during a technical support call.

Interestingly the next generation of cellular technology called Long Term Evolution (LTE) is a wideband version of CDMA. Unfortunately carriers are using different frequency bands with different 3G backup systems. In the near-term that means truly world phones will be more difficult to come by.

Aren't the Verizon SIM card phones for 4G LTE only? If so, they will only work where LTE coverage exists on the right frequencies for the phone.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I've had three phones unlocked by AT&T at no charge. I explained my needs and they gave me unlock codes. One quite old phone required support from the manufacturer. My two iPhones (a 3G now drowned and a 4) they did right away during a technical support call.

Interestingly the next generation of cellular technology called Long Term Evolution (LTE) is a wideband version of CDMA. Unfortunately carriers are using different frequency bands with different 3G backup systems. In the near-term that means truly world phones will be more difficult to come by.

Aren't the Verizon SIM card phones for 4G LTE only? If so, they will only work where LTE coverage exists on the right frequencies for the phone.
My 5S seems to work for talking on 1x , 3G and LTE, data pretty much only works on LTE

I know my daughter on a Verizon 4S had no problems paying the piper to use the phone over in the EU

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-16-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Verizon, very few spots on the ICW without a good signal.
Ditto. Very few spots on the entire east coast ICW without verizon coverage .... Even in the 'low' country.
Old 05-16-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I can access data over my 5S with Verizon in all modes, its just a question of speed.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-16-2014
Banned

nccouple is on a distinguished road

My fiancé has Verizon, I have At&t. Hands down Verizon is better in our cruising area. She has coverage 99% of the time. Me about 25%. I plan on going on her Verizon plan soon.
Old 05-16-2014
Adrift

XPatriot is on a distinguished road

AT&T seems to have better coverage in populous areas, verizon seems to have better coverage in the sticks.

My work phone is AT&T but my iPad (personal) is Verizon. My iPad is my principal computer on the boat and it tends to be better than my phone when in the water (I'm not sure if this is affected by the phone/iPads ability to receive a signal).
Old 05-16-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I am flirting into stuff I don't really understand. However, I had one of our IT guys tell me that ATT wireless is the successor to Cingular. Apparently, the name was a reference to technology that only require contact with a single tower, while most others required more than one, so you would hand off or have backup or something I didn't quite follow. The "singular" technology does work better in heavily populated areas, as you move less and have better signals. The standard tech is better everywhere else.

Not my story, I'm just trying to repeat it. Poorly, perhaps.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-20-2014

Location: See my blog SailingAquinnah.blogspot.com. Maine to the warm Islands down South
JohnZion is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone! Seems the consensus is that sailors on the East Coast have best luck with Verizon. Anyone have experience using Verizon in Europe? I have heard ATT is a bit better there.

Tags
at&t , cell , reception , verizon