Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014

4arch is on a distinguished road
LED Spreader Lights

My combination steaming/foredeck light is fried and I'd like to take the opportunity to go to dual LED floodlights on the lower spreaders. There seem to be a huge array of options and prices are all over the place. My ideal setup would have low and high settings - the low for day to day use like dinghy boarding, anchor watches, etc. and the high for emergency situations like the anchor dragging at 3 am. In any case, I'm curious what people are using and what has worked well?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road
Re: LED Spreader Lights

I don't see the need for hi/lo lights just get a switch that has off/left/right/both.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Being an older boat, she came with the old "tractor" light spreader lights which had only a couple of hour lifespan. I found LED bulbs for them and not only are they daylight bright, they seem to be lasting as advertised. These hardy spreader lights were (are?) the industry standard for over a half a century and the LED bulbs have brought them into this century.
Attached Thumbnails
LED Spreader Lights-light.jpg  
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-18-2014

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

I bought two Taco Marine LEDs last winter and am now installing them. We wired up one spreader this morning and ran a test in the cabin with a jumper to the house battery. They almost blinded my helper. Can't wait to see what they're like when the mast goes up. They draw 6 watts - 0.5 amps, so I've decided to put both on one circuit. With the old ones the draw was enough to warrant separate circuits. One more spare spot on the distribution panel is always a help.

LED Marine Lights @ http://tacomarine.com

P.S. This installation was part of a total rewire of the mast. At 20 years I guess it was due. I found the old wire very substandard and failing in several places. Would you believe chafe inside the conduit? Not good with an AL mast. Those of you with old in-mast wire might want to check for stray currents in the mast.

Last edited by billyruffn; 05-18-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2014

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

I installed these 2 years ago. So far no issues. These were originally design as LED underwater lights. They draw about .5 amp. So far they have held up just fine. Many times I have left them on for several hours. They were designed to be water tight and so far they have been trouble free. Best part is they cost about $20 each so $40 total.

I posted these in another thread and had some people bashed them because they were not sold as spreader lights. But so far so good. when I was looking at new spreader lights there was just no way I would pay $200 forunit designated as LED Spreader units.

Anyway thats my .02

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
LED Spreader Lights-img_0537resize.jpg   LED Spreader Lights-img_0544resize.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 05-18-2014

shoaldraft is on a distinguished road

I went with the Sea Hawk LED Spreader Lights from Hella Marine and can't say enough good things about them. VERY small and compact but give off an unreal amount of light. The first time I used them was in July of 2012 while on a mooring in Nantucket harbor during a Noah's Arc downpour that lasted most of the night with the wind over 30 knots from the south opposing the flood from the north as it entered the harbor. I must say that for the first few minutes after I turned them on to get a look at what was going on outside the hair on the back of my neck was starting to stand up but then I remembered i was on a mooring. With this said, they gave off enough light to see a heck of a show. In a recent issue of Practical Sailor there was a nice article of a dozen or so brands of LED spreader lights.
Old 05-19-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I installed these 2 years ago. So far no issues. These were originally design as LED underwater lights. They draw about .5 amp. So far they have held up just fine. Many times I have left them on for several hours. They were designed to be water tight and so far they have been trouble free. Best part is they cost about $20 each so $40 total.

I posted these in another thread and had some people bashed them because they were not sold as spreader lights. But so far so good. when I was looking at new spreader lights there was just no way I would pay $200 forunit designated as LED Spreader units.

Anyway thats my .02

Good Luck
Link? What brand?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-19-2014

sulli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Being an older boat, she came with the old "tractor" light spreader lights which had only a couple of hour lifespan. I found LED bulbs for them and not only are they daylight bright, they seem to be lasting as advertised. These hardy spreader lights were (are?) the industry standard for over a half a century and the LED bulbs have brought them into this century.
Capta do you have a link for the led bulbs? were they exact replacement or did you need to change to socket?
Old 05-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Link? What brand?
I posted this project in the low budget projects thread.....
I will see if I can find it and post a link to the thread...

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 05-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Link? What brand?
These are the units, not sure they are still available. I bought them at a local boatersworld for $19.99ea....may go by there sometime and see if they are still available.

Jarvis Marine Lighting

My two lovely ladies!!