Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Defend Defender!

I feel like i should alert Home Depot that you are on your way. I wonder what the in-store paging code is for "lazy miserable cheap customer who wants you to do his research for him on a single item purchase with a possible price match and a coupon who gets incensed when he perceives that you are laughing at him in aisle nine"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2014

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
I absolutely agree.
Having said that, I thought it went without saying that someone who answers a "product information" line, know something about the products. I posted the OP because I knew a lot of members used Defender, and was curious what their experience was concerning this issue. I'm amazed by the number of people here who don't agree, see the absurdity, irony and yes...humor of this situation.
As a carpenter, it's like me going to somebodies house, listening to what they want done and saying "That's great, but I have no tools." It really is THAT stupid.
I guess the fact people don't see it, is a reflection our diminished standards and the direction in which this country is headed. As with Defender's 411 operator posing as a "Product Information" Associate, very sad indeed!
Defender is the end of Western civilization. Yeah, got it.

Do your research elsewhere and buy Defender, or go shop elsewhere.

I would rather speak with a manufacturer expert than Defender. I have no issue with the redirect, I appreciate it. Defender redirected me to Forespar re: a defect ... Forespar ended offering free parts!

Defender splicing has also been fantastic with short turn orders.

I recently ordered a full B&G kit ... no complaints.

Vote with your dollar. Go elsewhere if Defender does not work for you.

Me ... I'm a happy customer.
Old 06-10-2014

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Yep...Home Depot...now there's a place you know what not to expect...
Go on-line to HD and order some cabinets. Await their arrival at the HD of your choice in 4-6 weeks.
Call at six weeks and find out they've been at the store for three weeks and no one called you to let you know.
Segment omitted for brevity...
The warehouse employee heads back to upstairs and the customer service rep pages for someone who can bring a trolley (the cabinets are in six heavy boxes) to assist in taking them to your truck. Fifteen minutes later no one has showed despite three more pages.
Finally you horse the cabinets to your truck making six trips between the store and the loading zone outside...hoping none are damaged when you open those boxes...
Yeah!...and then you call the product information line with a simple question, and the employee who answers says she doesn't know anything about the products they sell! Oh, no..wait....That was Defender! Apparently similar "business models", easy to get confused!

The title of the OP was a play on words, and I posted because I was as amused as I was irritated. I was honestly curious if my experience was the norm.
However, I have been very surprised by how many people actually are quite willing to defend the situation in the OP, or at the very least, don't see the irony and ridiculousness of it. In addition, they are quite willing to attack me for even pointing it out. Wonder how many work for Defender?

I mean, c'mon folks....Defender has provided products at a reasonable price, quick shipping, good warranty service, etc.. However, you have to see that what took place in the OP should never happen! TELL ME YOU SEE IT!
If not, it's certainly not "The end of western civilization" (post 52). However, I think it's a sure indication of the uncivilized direction in which we are heading. Apparently, as long as we think we are getting a deal, we don't expect much!

Last edited by L124C; 06-10-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2014

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
I'm glad Home Depot exists. It spares me from dealing with a certain type of customer. HD is glad I exist; that way, they don't have to accommodate wacky requests that would screw up their stores' & subcontractors' low-skill, high-throughput model. As it happens, I do know what SOSS hinges are useful for (almost nothing) and will gladly educate my customers about them. I'm a full-service boutique company. My customers understand that, they pay me for my knowledge, and they wait a very long time for their cabinets. If they don't want to pay, or to wait, the Borg is over there.----->

Deleted for brevity. Besides...it was a off topic, rambling rant!

Defender doesn't need defending by anyone here. They are what they are, they do what they do, they fulfill thousands of orders to happy customers every week, and if you are offended by the scope of their in-house knowledge, you are invited to shop elsewhere. They will not miss your custom one bit. Trying to use the internet to leverage your personal disappointment into a torch & pitchfork moment seems petty and self-indulgent; you aren't doing yourself any favors.
Who's got the "torch & pitchfork" here? YIKES!
Post less, read more. You won't embarrass yourself (and your customers might get their cabinets on time!)
Sorry SN, couldn't resist. Like shootin fish in a barrel. I promise... I won't waste time responding to him anymore!

Last edited by L124C; 06-10-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Not that anyone is keeping score, but it's 6 pages of folks almost unanimously defending Defender, and the OP still insisting he's right.

The problem has become evident to all but the problem, evidently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

L124C,

The part of bobmcgov's post that you deleted "for brevity" and because you thought it an "off topic, rambling rant" is, IMHO, right ON topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
The facts that tens of thousands of customers purchase from Defender every year w/out throwing a public tantrum and that most people in this thread understand and accept Defender's business model suggest that possibly the problem lies with you. I just wonder if you can look beyond what seem like an overweening sense of entitlement to recognize Defender doesn't owe you anything. You just think they do. When some crank writes a letter to the newspaper ranting about a new zoning proposal and how it proves the Trilateral Commission is trying to take away his freedoms (yard full of junk cars) which are his right under the Constitution, said letter rarely teaches us much about the specific zoning proposal, or the Constitution. It does reveal quite a lot, perhaps more than intended, about Douglas Crabb, Smallville, USA. First, he thinks his personal sense of injustice is a matter of global interest; second, he's not someone you'd want to sit next to on a long bus ride.
You seem to have your panties in a bunch because a discount store doesn't know everything about every item they sell. That just isn't realistic. If you can't understand that after reading this thread I suggest just you stop buying stuff from discount outlets and deal only with very high-end, and very overpriced, specialty retailers. Then you can rant and rave to your heart's content, particularly about the price you'll be paying.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?