Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014

jhock is on a distinguished road
Fairing interior fiberglass after core replacement

Hello, I'm looking for advice on how to finish a recoring project. I've recored around the deadlights on a Tanzer 22 and need to make everything look nice again. I removed the interior fiberglass skin for the recoring and have epoxied it back in place. Now I need to decide how to proceed. Should I sand out a wider "v" in the cut and just fill it with epoxy fairing compound (followed by primer/paint), or do I need to do it the "right" way and sand a 12:1 bevel which I fill with fiberglass cloth and then fair?

I ask because most of the recoring examples I've seen are on the exterior. This isn't a structural seam, and it doesn't need to be waterproof. As such, I'm hoping I might be able to get away with just epoxy fairing (much quicker, especially the sanding prep).

I would appreciate any advice, particularly from someone who has made a similar repair. Thanks.

Picture for context, further pictures can be found on our website.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairing interior fiberglass after core replacement-img_20140505_182600.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Fairing interior fiberglass after core replacement

yup

here ya go

and

used a product called jet bond to fair...

after it cures sand smooth and repaint

your cabin sides are in much better shape than mine were after taking off the veneer

good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2014

Shockwave is on a distinguished road

I Use Awlgrip Awlfair. It's Allot Of Work. To Get Some Thing Fair Might Take 10 Applications.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-20-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

Personally i can live with the white paint

I sure as hell was not gonna put filler in and sand even more
mbowser and christian.hess like this.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-20-2014

If I take the epoxy only route, I intend to use fumed silica thickened epoxy to do the majority of the filling (for strength and because I find it easy to work with) and finish it off with either West System's 410 microlight filler or System Three's Quick Fair (simply because that is what I have on hand).

christian.hess, have you sailed since making your repair? The only reason I can imagine glass being useful in this situation is to prevent cracking around the faired joints (since the epoxy will flex differently than the surrounding glass).

tommays, nice work, that could not have been an easy job overhead. I'll remember that when I get frustrated working on a vertical surface. And sanding is the worst, I'd much rather be sailing or doing just about anything else.

Last edited by jhock; 05-20-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: responding to another post
Old 05-20-2014
new dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhock View Post
If I take the epoxy only route, I intend to use fumed silica thickened epoxy to do the majority of the filling (for strength and because I find it easy to work with) and finish it off with either West System's 410 microlight filler or System Three's Quick Fair (simply because that is what I have on hand).

christian.hess, have you sailed since making your repair? The only reason I can imagine glass being useful in this situation is to prevent cracking around the faired joints (since the epoxy will flex differently than the surrounding glass).

tommays, nice work, that could not have been an easy job overhead. I'll remember that when I get frustrated working on a vertical surface. And sanding is the worst, I'd much rather be sailing or doing just about anything else.

hi...what glass are you reffering to? the cabin sides have been faired after removing the wood veneer

its jetbond which is a chemically hardened bondo type fairing compound, then primer, then paint

no glass was used on the sides

the glass you might be reffering to is from the new bulkheads and filleting done

cheers

Old 05-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
hi...what glass are you reffering to? the cabin sides have been faired after removing the wood veneer

its jetbond which is a chemically hardened bondo type fairing compound, then primer, then paint

no glass was used on the sides

the glass you might be reffering to is from the new bulkheads and filleting done

cheers
Sorry, my mistake, I'm working from my own paradigm. I cut off the interior glass "skin," removed the core material and then put it all back together with new plywood (reusing the old glass skin). From the picture I thought you had done the same, but you replaced the wood veneer completely with jet bond, correct? Has it dealt well with flexing?
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-21-2014
new dad!

no not yet but its really firm...Ive seen other model boats like mine do the same, remove the veneer and fair...yes its thin, but i dont see an issue structurally at least...the veneer added no stiffness or strength to my eyes...

I thought about adding wood again but the issue with that was water intrusion and basically more work anytime I have to mess with the windows, or add hardware etc...

Old 1 Week Ago

I thought I'd post an update in case anyone else is performing similar work on their boat.

I opted for the 'hard way' taking an angle grinder to the seam, using glass tape to build it back up, and then fairing over it with System Three QuikFair before painting it with Pettit Ez Cabin Coat. Here are some pictures, or you can also find the details on our webpage.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairing interior fiberglass after core replacement-img_20140526_171218small.jpg   Fairing interior fiberglass after core replacement-dscn1655small.jpg   Fairing interior fiberglass after core replacement-dscn1660small.jpg   Fairing interior fiberglass after core replacement-img_20140601_175604small.jpg   Fairing interior fiberglass after core replacement-img_20140602_174014small.jpg  

Tempest and deltaten like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhock For This Useful Post:
deltaten (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your update.
Looks like a solid repair job.
Well done!
Now I just have to do the same, or similar on my own boat where I re-cored.

Everybody has one: