Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2014

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Re: canvas stitching

I took my sail cover to one of those sewing places in the mall that mainly do business hemming new pants or skirts. They have the industrial sewing machines.
I did not tell them to use polyester thread but I only wanted them to add some zigzags to the existing stitching. Cost me $10.
This winter I will get fabric, cut it and pin it and have them stitch me a new one. I will supply the thread.

1981 Edel 665
Currently on top of the water and the world @ Lakefront Promenade Marina, Mississauga, ON

Last edited by i_amcdn; 05-26-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2014

jvlassak is on a distinguished road

That's not a bad idea. In my case, the canvas is in excellent condition, but the stitching is falling apart. Whoever made the dodger originally, clearly didn't use the best thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft 34
Old 05-26-2014

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

Before taking the cover to any shop, you might want to clean the cover. Even canvas shops might charge you for cleaning before sewing. The reason is to protect their machines.
Multihullgirl likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TejasSailer For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

THANK YOU TS FOR SAYING THAT ABOUT CLEANING! Not only will your canvas fabricator thank you, but if you keep your canvas clean in general, it lasts longer. Dirt includes not only abrasive dust but also biologicals, all of which will work to eat your cloth and stitching.

A good V-92 thread, such as Heminway and Bartlett etc should last about five years. V-138 probably lasts a couple years more. Sunbrella is guaranteed for 10.

My usual advice is that you have the canvas fabricated, then in five years you get a restitch, then by the next restitch your canvas will likely need replacing.

Tenara thread is a PITA in a machine (which is one reason why it's expensive), but there are new brands of PTFE thread which are easier to use, is it Sunsure? But you still have to at least buy very particular needles to use any PTFE thread.

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 05-26-2014 at 09:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Multihullgirl For This Useful Post:
jvlassak (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasSailer View Post
Before taking the cover to any shop, you might want to clean the cover. Even canvas shops might charge you for cleaning before sewing. The reason is to protect their machines.
So I have a question (thread high jack approaching), what's the best way to clean a Bimini canvas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 05-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
Tenara thread is a PITA in a machine (which is one reason why it's expensive), but there are new brands of PTFE thread which are easier to use, is it Sunsure?
The other PTFE thread you mention might be Solarfix. From what I've read on other forums, Tenara tends to twist and knot more than Solarfix. Personally, I've never had a problem with Tenara, but at $125 a spool, and since I have two spools, I haven't tried Solarfix. I use the needles for Tenara that I use for bonded polyester

Based on posts in the Sailrite forums, Sailrite Ultrafeed machines seem to have a bit more difficulty with Tenara than industrial machines. Perhaps the reason is that Ultrafeed machines are oscillating hook machines but typical industrial machines, including the Sailrite industrial machine, are rotary hook machines.

As for cleaning canvas instructions such as Sunbrella:

Marine Tops and Covers Care and Cleaning: Sunbrella fabrics

and a video:

Care and Cleaning: How to: Sunbrella fabrics

Last edited by TejasSailer; 05-26-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Multihullgirl (05-27-2014)
Old 05-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
[Y]ou still have to at least buy very particular needles to use any PTFE thread.
I typically use MR needles sewing canvas with both bonded polyester and Tenara, and have had no problems sewing with either.

"If fabricators have problems with skipped stitches, Singer's Multi-range (MR) needle (which has a deeper scarf than other needles) promotes the formation of thread 'looping'. Therefore, skipped stitches are eliminated."

Source: Gore Fibers
Multihullgirl (05-27-2014)
Old 05-26-2014
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Once you have the drag on the bobbin and top adjusted right, Sewing Tenara is not difficult at all. I use a Sailrite machine. Your millage may differ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.