Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2014

NewBaySailor is on a distinguished road
Kerosene fuel as paint thinner

The msds for Interlux 333 indicates that it is comprised of 75-100% kerosene, and up to 25% naptha. Instead of paying $52/gal at a marine store for Interlux 333, 1 gal of kerosene fuel at a big box home hardware store (not Home Depot, fyi) costs only $11/gal. Has anyone used kerosene fuel to thin polyurethane brightsides (not the enamel). I'm painting the cove stripe and the weather is turning hot on the Chesapeake; Interulx recommends thinning with 333 in warm weather. Thanks! Bruce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road
Re: Kerosene fuel as paint thinner

As usual, try a tiny bit. maybe 1 oz, and use the kero. Paint a test spot, and see what the result is. Be ready to sand it back off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to UnionPacific For This Useful Post:
NewBaySailor (05-26-2014)
Old 05-25-2014

sulli is on a distinguished road

I would use mineral spirits similar composition just not as oily probably cheaper too
The Following User Says Thank You to sulli For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

If kerosene is so much cheaper, don't you think that paint manufacturer would just use it and pocket the differece?

The naptha is there for a reason - it's a more powerful solvent.

I can tell you from experience cleaning bottom paint off of paint brushes that mineral spirits does NOT fully clean the brush. I need to use the naptha-containing brushing thinner to dissolve all the paint off the brush.

You can experiment all you want, but you'll just be reinventing the wheel. The paint manufacturer spent thousands of hours of R&D time coming up with the right composition.

If you really want to save money by making your own thinner, at the very least you should duplicate the composition that the mfg reports on the MSDS. Then you'll have to buy some naptha and blend it into the kerosene at the 25% level.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I'm in a similar position, only far from a paint store where I can buy polyurethane paint thinner at any price. If the composition of a paint is oil based, then I think it's OK to use turps or kerosene, but with the polyurethane paints I'm not at all convinced that either would do the job. It has been suggested that xylene may work, but that's no more available where I've been than the right thinner, so we are going to have to wait for Rodney Bay, St. Lucia.
Old 05-26-2014

NewBaySailor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses - I didn't expect such a quick reaction. Interestingly, Interlux technical support recommended that I clean the brushes with either Interlux 333 or xylene. I used xylene. Also, fyi, xylene is the predominant component of Interlux 216, which is recommended for cold weather painting. The msds for Interlux 333 provides a range of percentages for the composition of kerosene, 75-100%, which I took to mean that sometimes they use 25% naptha and sometimes not. But that could be the wrong assumption. I imagine naptha will be difficult to locate in the retail market. I'll also check the composition of mineral spirits - which I did not consider previously. Bruce
Old 05-26-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBaySailor View Post
...I imagine naptha will be difficult to locate in the retail market...
Naptha is available at Home Depot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBaySailor View Post
...The msds for Interlux 333 provides a range of percentages for the composition of kerosene, 75-100%, which I took to mean that sometimes they use 25% naptha and sometimes not. But that could be the wrong assumption...
They "company line" is that reporting a wide range allows for variability in the product. The real reason is they don't want to give you the exact composition to prevent you from using the MSDS to formulate your own product instead of buying theirs.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

The real price comparison is not 333 vs. kerosene, it's 333 vs. Brightsides. How much is it going to cost you to thin the paint by 10% with 333? Next to nothing. The 333 is certainly MUCH cheaper than the paint you're thinning, so you're saving money, aren't you?

Talk about spoiling the ship for the sake of ha'porth of tar. Just use the proper stuff and move on.

I've been using the same tin of 333, and the equivalent from Pettit, for about 3 years now. It lasts forever at 10% of the paint/varnish. Just find some cheap kerosene for cleaning brushes etc.
TakeFive and oysterman23 like this.
Old 05-27-2014
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Naptha is available at Home Depot.

They "company line" is that reporting a wide range allows for variability in the product. The real reason is they don't want to give you the exact composition to prevent you from using the MSDS to formulate your own product instead of buying theirs.
Yeah they have several motives at work....Napha is more volatile and often used when a quick set is desireable. Kero if used needs to be the highly refined grade. Good mineral spirits is compatible with brightsides but as sold tends to be quite variable in formula from brand to brand or even batch to batch.(often true with lacquer thinner) too much naptha tends to reduce gloss. Too much of any of them degrades the cohesion of the resin which is the basis of the paints durability. One of the nicest tricks is adding a bit of Penetrol which was used like the magik elixir by boat yard painters with the early poly paints in the early to late seventies...they often achieved mirror finishes by brush application. quite an art!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterman23 View Post
... Kero if used needs to be the highly refined grade.....
Knowing where Kerosene comes from, that's a very good point.. hence there's no way I'd even contemplate using store-bought kerosene for thinning paint.

Aside from the effects of the dye additive, there's likely to be trace quantities of water, particulates, 'diesel bug' and all kinds of other goodies in there that don't affect it's burning properties in the least but are very likely to affect the quality of your paintwork.

Tags
interlux 333 , kersene , paint thinner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.