Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-27-2014

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Deck stains

What do you use to remove stains on your deck from mold/algae? We tried boat soap/deck cleaner, scrubbed with a hard brush, but it just doesn't want to come clean. It is on a 'non skid' deck. Should I use bleach, or go with something like mildew stain remover, obviously I don't want to do anything to hurt the fiberglass deck. It is an old boat, '78'. ?????? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2014

bshock is on a distinguished road
Re: Deck stains

I'm interested in seeing other replies, but what I use based on seeing/asking what dock neighbors do is mix up a water/bleach mixture in a spray bottle. That works very well. We get normal bird droppings, but also in the middle of the summer we get these crazy spiders in the western lake erie area, and they have their own droppings, and if they get squished, they stain the deck green. Their abdomens get about the size of a grape. Nasty beasties.
Old 05-27-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I just posted information on a new cleaner product that I found at Dollar General Store, Totally Awesome Cleaner. $1 for a 20 ounce spray bottle and it will clean just about everything. I was even able to clean the nasty bow mustache stain from my boat which was from the tanic acid of the ICW in NC. That stuff is almost impossible to remove, but this cleaner removed it in seconds.

Gary
Old 05-27-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

With your location being in So.Md, the probability is high that what you see is 'artillery fungus' - a tree bark fungus that grows on virtually 'everything' along the US East Coast. Thrives during cool wet weather.

Second probability is that your gelcoat has become porous and this fungus is now growing fairly deep into the porosity ... not a big deal.
Consider waxing your non-skid with such as non-slip 'Woody Wax' especially made to 'seal' non-skid.

Strong 'caustics' will easily dissolve such funguses. Sodium Silicate based high strength detergents (eg. "Roll-Off" available at WM) usually work best. Spritz on, then cover with plastic film so that you get sufficient 'soak time' without drying out. An hour soak is usually best. Then scrub and rinse thoroughly. Dont apply Roll-off, etc. to bare teak, unless you also want to extract the dead UV burned surface layers.
Then ...... to remove any 'shadows' left over from the caustic extraction: get oxalic acid (wood bleach) at a WM or Lowes, mix to full strength and wipe on. Oxalic will also remove tannin and iron staining from gelcoat.

;-)
Old 05-28-2014
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

Why not try Soft Scrub with bleach cleanser first and see how that works. We have found that it cleans most every stain in our nonskid. Then seal with Aurora's Sure Step wax.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We use any bleach based bathroom tub and tile cleaner and a bristle scrub brush on a pole. It makes easy work of it.

However, it makes a mess of the wax on the topside as it runs off, so we do that last.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-28-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

power washer will do it and you don't even have to use any cleaners. I did my boat a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at the results. My boat is the cleanest is has been since I bought it. I loaned the washer to 2 of my marina neighbors and they couldn't thank me enough.

I bought a cheapie $99 electric model and it is the best $99 I have ever spent. If you use a gas model, be extra careful as they may have too much power.

My wife is ecstatic at how our boat looks! I even cleaned our nasty looking lifeline pads (moldy - algae) and they almost look new.

Last edited by chuck53; 05-28-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-28-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSF View Post
What do you use to remove stains on your deck from mold/algae? We tried boat soap/deck cleaner, scrubbed with a hard brush, but it just doesn't want to come clean. It is on a 'non skid' deck. Should I use bleach, or go with something like mildew stain remover, obviously I don't want to do anything to hurt the fiberglass deck. It is an old boat, '78'. ?????? Thanks.
If what you are seeing is mold, a wash-down and soak with household bleach should cure the problem. Lay Some old rags, T-shirts or what have you that you can discard over the affected areas and douse them with bleach and allow them to sit for several hours. If there is mold that will clear it up (BTDT) after which a wash down and a wax with none skid wax will limit the problem in the future. If the problem remains, however, given the age of your boat, what you might be seeing is areas where the gel-coat has worn away, exposing the underlying glass. An examination with a magnifying glass might confirm that. If so, re-coating with gel-coat or painting with an epoxy based paint may be your only fix.

Good luck....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-28-2014

Why use bleach or any kind of cleaner when a power washer will do even better.
Now if the gelcoat is worn away, that's a whole different problem that will only be corrected by paint or re-gelcoating as svHyLyte suggested.

A friend has a couple of white, plastic lawn chairs that had become dingy gray. She tried several heavy duty cleaners as well as bleach to clean & whiten them up. Nothing worked. They were clean, but still very gray looking. A couple of minutes with my washer and they were as white as the day she bought them.

Like I said, the best $99 I ever spent.
Old 05-28-2014

Back to the power washer....I don't advocate the regular use of one, just once or twice a year for the heavy duty cleaning. In between, just use any decent boat wash that won't wash away your hull wax.
After doing your deck with a power washer, I suggest using Woody wax, especially on the non skid. It will make regular cleaning easier. Just follow directions and go light. Too much is not a good thing and will make your deck very slippery.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.