Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2014

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road
Looking for welding plans to build trailer

Hello all:

I am looking for find plans to build a heavy duty trailer - for my sailboat.

Capacity needs to be +/- 10,000 lbs, fin keel. It is to be used for my Catalina 27 . . . and possibly a future (slightly larger/heavier) boat in a few years.

I have already sourced the running gear (axles, wheels, hitch, brakes, etc.).

There seems to be a lot of plans available for a small or medium size "regular" boat trailer, but as we know, trailering a deep fin keel boat is a different matter.

Any ideas or suggestions out there, fellow sail-netters? Where can I find welding plans for something like this?

thx,

P
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for welding plans to build trailer-00w0w_8459l9mzjj_600x450.jpg  

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2014

grampianvoyager is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for welding plans to build trailer

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-45sR-U_-15...0/P1010001.JPG
Here is a custom made for a 6500# It was with the boat when I bought it. Seems well made. If you need any measurement let me know.
Old 05-29-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

On the small side find and look at J24 trailers on the big side look at J105 trailers or anything TRIAD

You can also look at TRIADs web sight as they have hundreds of GOOD pictures

It is common to see the J24, J80 and J105 trailers which is why I bring then up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2014

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratzcpa View Post
Hello all:

I am looking for find plans to build a heavy duty trailer - for my sailboat.

P
Here's a good source. Boat Trailor Plans | Glen-L Boat Plans

I used the Glen-L book to build a custom trailer for a 19 footer with a heavy full keel. I used the book to solve some design questions as I did this in 1998 and there was not much available on the internet back then. I never saw a real example of a sailboat trailer and needed some coaching for sure. My trailer turned out great and has saved me once an active hurricane season. I have a 20 foot square tubing hitch extension and lets me sink my trailer real deep at the ramp and my truck is bone dry.

I built a rolling A-frame trailer and fitted temporary bunks at the boatyard to haul the boat home. I then made custom curved bunks to support the hull properly and even made them removable so I can do bottom paint in my driveway, doing one side at a time. Its a lot of work though. Have you considered searching for a used trailer? I tried that at first and struck out so I welded my own as a last resort.

Good luck w the project, and don't use the cheapest (thin gauge) steel you can find. Get some heavy duty stuff and it will last forever.
Old 05-29-2014

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road

thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Yes, I have searched and searched for a used trailer. I have been only able to find small trailers (undersized), or cobbled homebuilt, or very expensive custom built trailers.

Looking for a good/safe/cost effective way to solve this problem.

My son is a good welder, so I've got that covered. The plans have been my stumbling block. I'd like to use a design that is proven or engineered to safely carry the load.

One thought I had was to "borrow" one of our fellow cruisers trailers (a good heavy factory built model) and just "copy" all of the measurements, sizes, angles, lengths, etc. and a ton of pictures.

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Old 05-29-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

I guess the whole MT limits your trailer viewing as around here I see them everyday

So anyway how far and how much AIR clearance do you have as my 4.5 draft Cal just barely clears all the tree branches off main roads

Traffic lights and such are no problem

and that is with the keel 12" above the road

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-29-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Did you try talking to Catalina? They closed their plant here in Woodland Hills, but it's just possilbe... They still have a keel mold sitting in the yard on the west side of the building, and who knows what they have inside. They've leased out their east lot for trucking storage, but I haven't seen any movement on dispostion of the property.

Last edited by Brewgyver; 05-29-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

I'll tell you one thing you should NOT do. You should not buy the book "Trailers: How to Design and Build, Volume 1" by M.M. Smith. It is a complete waste of time and money. It is so high-level as to be useless.

Do I really need to buy a book to explain to me that a trailer's electrical system should include brake lights and turn signals? Seriously. The book spends about three pages, rambling on and on, and in the end tells you nothing more than that.

Or that the springs are intended to protect the cargo from bumps and potholes in the road? Given its title, I thought it might include some details on how to calculate spring loads, or determine their best location. But no, it went into no more detail than to explain that most trailers have springs, and they are to protect the cargo. Well, DUH!

Volume 2 might be useful. I don't know. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. As completely useless as Volume 1 was, I was not going to throw my money away on Volume 2 (which, by the way, costs more than Volume 1).

Personally, I would agree with the recommendation to go to the Glen-L site. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

suggestion.. build a cradle that will hold the boat well.. get a used flat bed trailer.. cheaper to find used then building new. Bolt the cradle to the trailer and you have a trailer to use for other things when the boat isn't on it!
Bruce_L likes this.

My boat is for sale.

Old 06-01-2014

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
build a cradle that will hold the boat well.. get a used flat bed trailer..
This is a great idea! As long as you have plenty of truck to haul the extra weight of all the extra steel involved. You could even incorporate lift eyes on the cradle and have the boatyard crane or forklift lift your boat in the cradle and launch it. It also gives you the ability to position the cradle on the flatbed to adjust trailer tongue weight as needed. Have you thought about how will will raise/lower your mast?
deniseO30 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.