Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Re: Are These Winches Salvageable?

I got them cleaned up as well as I could. At least the bearings spin freely...I did use hot, soapy water to clean them before applying MilSpec white lithium grease and oiled the pawls and springs. Unfortunately, I was not able to find the correct replacement pawls. All the ones I found were too tall. I compensated by moving the old pawls from the bottom to the top of the winch, where the worn ones are at the top instead of the more crucial bottom. I hope that this allows for a few more years of use...
Old 06-09-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I never ever use water or soapy water for cleaning parts...like engine parts. or especially bearings. Cheers
Marine winches are designed to get wet - water wont hurt them but acetone or brake cleaner for the final spritz is fine too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I think (but wouldn't swear) that little tubes of something akin to white lithium grease used to come with Lionel train engines and Zebco fishing reels. And the US automakers still use it for hood and door strikes, mainly because it will not stain clothing and it will WASH OUT if it does. Not very durable, not a great lube, but cheap and easy to clean up and that counts.

In a winch...eh...easy to clean out means easy to wash out but I guess if you like to clean and strip your winches frequently, that keeps grit out instead of trapping it in old grease. (Wow, it's Sunday, time to rebuild the winches again! (G)

I'd second the vote for brake cleaner, or engine degreaser, as a way to displace any water and grease and leave clean dry metal when you are done. Brake cleaner in the US comes as carbon tetrachloride, which is sometimes banned since it isn't healthy stuff, and "green" alternatives to that. But a hair dryer or heat gun should do the job without any surface rusting, or health issues.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 06-09-2014
Senior Moment Member

I've been using white lithium for 30 years and never had it wash out - I've tried everything and it is the best. The cup of Gunk brand I currently have states "boat winches" right on the side. It takes detergent to clean my hands after using it.

If you use oil for anything you need to strip regularly but white lithium will last several seasons at least (I usually strip them once a year but have gone to 3 years).

Spend $5 for a cup and do a winch the way I described - including the pawls and ratchet teeth. They will be so smooth, free & quiet I bet you never go back to anything else

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-09-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Marine winches are designed to get wet - water wont hurt them but acetone or brake cleaner for the final spritz is fine too.

yeah I was talking about internal parts, engine parts...sorry for the off topic info...

in relation to bearings NO even winch BEARINGS are not designed for the water thats why some winches are beyond repair...

edit Ill add when I did mine there was one winch, my port genoa winch a big lewwar that was seized despite being full of grease...it was apparent that water(maybe the po dunked the boat or got a big greener over the side or something) had corroded 2 of the gear pins...even though they were quality bronze and stainless parts(can you say dissimilar metals?)...the bearing cages on the shaft, were also seized but after much use of wd40 and other cleaners and degreasers they came free...then it was off to wiping off the old grease much like the OP is doing just worse...and was back in business.

anywhoo

Last edited by christian.hess; 06-09-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I've been using white lithium for 30 years and never had it wash out - I've tried everything and it is the best. The cup of Gunk brand I currently have states "boat winches" right on the side. It takes detergent to clean my hands after using it.

If you use oil for anything you need to strip regularly but white lithium will last several seasons at least (I usually strip them once a year but have gone to 3 years).

Spend $5 for a cup and do a winch the way I described - including the pawls and ratchet teeth. They will be so smooth, free & quiet I bet you never go back to anything else

Are you of the opinion that you should use as much as feasibly possible, or use just enough to cover all surfaces?
Old 06-10-2014
Senior Moment Member

I put it on generously, reassemble the winch, crank it through several revolutions, backwind it and rotate it some more. Then I pop the drum off and wipe off all the squeeze out. That leave the right amount everywhere. Then the drum goes back on and I move on to the next one.
ericb760 and christian.hess like this.